Rebecca's Reviews > Speak

Nov 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya-lit, fiction
Read on November 27, 2011

A story about Melinda. Who finds herself at the very bottom of the popularity ladder at the beginning of her freshman year. All because she called the cops at a party the summer before. Something happened at that party, that no one knows about-and Melinda won't speak about. She finds herself unable to speak at school, unable to make friends or even attend class. Her parents are disappointed with her, they don't understand why she has become this completely different kid. It doesn't seem like Melinda knows either. Her one quasi-friend deserts her half way through the year. And Melinda finds herself spending more and more time in an abandoned janitors closet. She is certainly drowning, and has no one who can help. A story about the harsh realities of being a teenager. With the pressures, both socially and academically-it's a wonder any of us made it out of high school alive, let alone scarred. Quite a book. One I know is read in English classes all over. Anderson does a fantastic job of capturing that state of inbtweeness we feel in high school, where we are torn between wanting to belong, and wanting to get out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.

11/27/2011 page 172