Henk-Jan van der Klis's Reviews > The Prayer Coin: Daring to Pray with Honest Abandon

The Prayer Coin by Elisa Morgan

Numerous books have been written on the discipline of prayer, often leading to shame or guilt of not praying enough. A well-known complaint is whether prayer helps. Does God really listen? What is praying according to His will? Elisa Morgan tries a different angle, based on the twofold prayer of Jesus Christ in the garden of Gethsemane. In the same sentence, present in three out of four gospels, Jesus both requested (“Take this cup”) and relinquished (“Not my will”). Prayer is like a two-sided coin, minted in the heat and pressure of life and spent in the bent-knee of practice. In this particular prayer, Jesus showed to His Father, and through the evangelists as well, that both honesty and abandon count.  The Prayer Coin explores this two-sided masterpiece of prayer, inviting you to the intimacy Jesus died to provide.

Morgan shares her personal life how prayers to "Take this cup" and "Not my will" have a pivot in the relationship with God. He listens and answers. Yes, praying like this is a practice, that requires discipline. It's not formulaic, but a set of deep expressions to our heavenly Father of our raw, human, and honest feelings, yet abandoning our own preferred solution to give room for divine providence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prayer Coin.

May 25, 2018 – Shelved