Alison O'Keefe's Reviews > The Secrets at Ocean's Edge

The Secrets at Ocean's Edge by Kali Napier

it was ok

This book was half 'The Light Between Oceans', and half 'Cloudstreet' - sounds like a great mix, right? Wrong. All this book succeeded in doing for me, was making me want to re-read those two books because they were so much better than this offering.

I am a fan of suspenseful and mysterious reads, and like the slow unravelling of secrets throughout a story, and at first this seemed like the perfect book to meet that requirement. The problem was my lack of interest in any character other than Ernie who didn't get much air-time, my dislike of Lily who was a horrible person to everyone, and this 'secret' that was totally unremarkable and not worth reading until the end for.

Pacing was a huge issue for me, because at some point we need to know what exactly our secret means, otherwise why do we care about finding it out? This information came at too stunted a pace, and left me with a sense of complete disappointment when it wasn't even that good.

With the mystery unravelling so slowly, it drew more attention to the fact the there was no other story - or to be more accurate, there was an interesting story in the town's everyday workings, the author just didn't tell it well. She focused instead on trying to be clever with her mystery, and it actually took away from the part that could have been good.

I wasn't impressed, and would recommend people to either read 'Light Between Oceans', or 'Cloudstreet' instead.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets at Ocean's Edge.

May 25, 2018 – Started Reading
May 25, 2018 – Shelved
May 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kali (new) - added it

Kali Napier Thank you for your very insightful review! I agree with a lot of what you said and wish I could have done those elements more justice. Most of all, I’m actually just so grateful you saw Ernie’s potential as you’re the first reviewer to do so. I haven’t read Cloudstreet but hope to soon as you’ve piqued my interest.

Alison O'Keefe I really liked Ernie - thought his motivations were really interesting. I read this for a book club, and we discussed that whoever did the advertising didn't do your story justice by likening it so much to 'The Light Between Ocean's'.
Thank you for reading my little review, and for being so honest (and let's be real - it was good enough to get published, and much better than a lot of things getting published!).