David jones's Reviews > Lisey's Story

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Feb 15, 2017

This was....well....an good book. I liked it, sure. It was just odd. I had a hard time getting into it within the first 130-140 pages because I just didn't feel connected at all to Lisey. She is an older woman who is reminiscing over her husband, and I just didn't get it. But when a certain character comes into the mix (a man by the name of Jim Dooley) it gets really interesting and intense. The characters of the story were fantastic (as is usually with King) and I liked the writing style for the most part. The made up words between Lisey and her husband Scott didn't get on my nerves. I liked it and thought it added quite a bit to the story. I liked how when the certain scenes delved into flashbacks, the final sentence was incomplete and continued into the next chapter section. I also liked how King writes thoughts; the italicized parentheses which intrude the flow of the story. My favorite part of King's writing style, I think. Now this wasn't a horror story, it was more a love story. But it did have its horrifying moments within it. I also really liked how the story is layered. It's three layers - the story of Lisey and her coping with the loss of her husband (which isn't a spoiler because it's talked about from the very beginning), the story of her and her husband Scott before he died and there made up language and the place Scott always went and his success as a writer, as well as the story of Scott's brother and father and his tragic childhood. It was compelling to read and really messed up at times. It isn't one of King's best books, but even his mediocre books are very well written. If you're a hardcore fan of King definitely read it, even if you're just a casual fan of King, read it - but if you're just starting with King, read one of his more popular and well known books because I promise you will probably like those ones better than this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lisey's Story.

November 26, 2011 – Shelved