Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)'s Reviews > Dead Beat

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

bookshelves: library-love, 4-stars, fav-magic-books, fav-urban-fantasy, favorites

Well I always feel like I’m missing something when I start these books. It could be because I’m taking my time before picking up the next book or it could be the time frame within the books themselves.

**Possible Spoilers Below**
I tried to be vague on those areas that might be spolierish.

Dead Beat takes place about a year after Blood Rites. Harry has his half-brother Thomas living with him still. Thomas is having trouble adjusting to normal life or what is consider normal. What is a Vampire to do? Harry also has a new pet, Mouse, which he picked up in Blood Rites. I do like the addition of a dog.

When we get started Murphy is going on vacation with Kincaid. Harry’s not happy about this, but he doesn’t stop her and so no Murphy for our story. I was sad to not have Murphy around, but it added a new feel to the story.

We see that Harry has been distancing himself from everyone. He’s not sharing and he needs to talk to someone. Everything he’s dealing with is bottled up inside. One issue he has is the Demon mark he received a few books back. It's starting to affect him. Besides all the other previous issues he has.

Now enter in the bad wizards, necromancy, oh my and the possibilities of one become a god. Ya, Harry’s got his work cut out for himself in stoping this. He also leans some disturbing news about the war with the Red Court and the deaths of hundreds of wizards. The wizards are losing and it doesn’t look good for anyone. Last, we get to see Harry offered a Warden position. He is doing the job of a Warden, but without the pay and benefits it has. Does he take the offer?

The novel is a little slow going until the last 25% or so when we get the big battle scene and the climax of the story. For most of this book Harry is running around looking for the Word, a book. He meets up with some others, the bad guys, who are also looking and away they go to see who will get the Word first and either become a god or stop the show.

Dead Beat was an delightful and entertaining read. It was a bit slow, but still had all the Harry fun that I have come to like and enjoy from the series. If you are an Urban Fantasy fan then I recommend picking up The Dresden Files series.

Rated: 4 Stars

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Beat.

May 23, 2018 – Shelved
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-stars
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: fav-magic-books
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: fav-urban-fantasy
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Awesome review angela!!💖😉

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Kat wrote: "Awesome review angela!!💖😉"

Thank you ^_^!