Melissa Rose's Reviews > My Big Greek Summer

My Big Greek Summer by Sue Roberts

liked it
bookshelves: audio-books, read-in-2018

Attracted to the cover like a moth to a flame, I took on “My Big Greek Summer” in my search for more light-hearted reading for the Summer months.

“My Big Greek Summer” is a second chance novel featuring Mandy, who, after discovering that her husband is having an affair, is looking for an escape; landing her on the Greek village of Thakos. During her time in Greece, Mandy makes friends with all sorts of locals (including the hunky, Costas); even attempting to help restore the village’s economy.

You know, despite a slow start to the novel, I believe that I found myself enjoying my time with the characters in “My Big Greek Summer.”

Of course, the story had a few flaws, for instance, I felt that the author had taken too long to explain Mandy’s background, and introduce the main plot points. I have to admit; I did find myself losing attention a couple of times

(view spoiler)

In terms of the narrator, Katie Villa did a reasonable job; it took me awhile to warm up to her voice, though. To me, it sounded like the sound equipment being used to record wasn’t the best quality.

However, despite these few irks, I’ll be damned if I am not a sucker for a fluffy ending and a pretty cover … and this book delivered in that respect. I loved reading about Mandy’s time in Thakos (and Costas; the descriptions of the tiny village were gorgeous and made me want to pack my bags and head to Greece.

Overall, while “My Big Greek Summer” wasn’t my favourite book, but I definitely didn’t hate it either. I did have a good enough time reading it. I would probably recommend this novel to my fellow chick-lit fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Big Greek Summer.

May 22, 2018 – Started Reading