Sierra Abrams's Reviews > Partials

Partials by Dan Wells

Nov 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: arc, ebook, 2012-read, dystopian, fantasy, futuristic, young-adult, 14-and-up, reviewed, such-ze-disappointment
Read from January 20 to February 03, 2012

Partials by Dan Wells (Partials #1)
Pages: 480
Release Date: February 28th, 2012
Date Read: 2012, January 20th - February 3rd
Received: ARC from NetGalley
Rating: 3/5 stars
Recommended to: 14+

SUMMARY -
Kira Walker, a scientist in the Maternity Ward, has seen the saddest side of humanity, the biggest issue that brings society down, that threatens to destroy the human race altogether. She has seen mothers give birth to babies, babies who are instantly taken by the virus, RM. She has seen the mothers, screaming for their babies as the bodies are taken away. For fourteen years, no baby has left the hospital alive.

The Partials did this; they made war on the humans and killed most of the race. What is left lives on an island off mainland New York. The Partials may be the greatest enemy, but Kira believes they may have the key to curing RM, the virus they originally brought upon society. And when Kira has the once in a lifetime opportunity to capture a live Partial for testing, she takes it, risking life, love and happiness for the good of all mankind.

MY THOUGHTS -
My feelings toward this book could be described as average... I liked it a lot, but there were some of things things...you know the ones...that tend to lead to a lower rating. The writing was good, solid, but not my favorite. I liked the science parts but felt they got too wordy and sometimes confusing (and then I'd move on and realize I didn't even need all that information anyway). Kira is a strong MC who I liked, but couldn't fully relate to or care about. See what I mean?

CHARACTER NOTES -
Like I just said, Kira was totally strong. She stood her ground and made a difference; she pushed through and conquered. But for some reason, I didn't care like I wanted to, like I thought I would. I've tried to pinpoint why, but I can't, so I just have to accept that I just didn't, because. Frustrating, right?

As for side characters, they were all good to read about, even if they lacked depth or development. My two favorites, and probably the most developed of all the characters, are Marcus and Samm. They really jumped off the page and into reality: Marcus because of his humor and life, and Samm because of the seriousness of his situation and how he handled it.

STORY NOTES -
For some reason, this book took me nearly two weeks to read. That's extremely odd to me; it never takes me that long. I can't blame it all on the story - I was abnormally busy one of those two weeks - but I can say that when I did have time to read I always wanted to read something else. Partials wasn't exactly a boring book, per say, but it didn't draw me in completely like I'd been hoping. I enjoyed it when I read it but never felt completely "there" - except for when I was reading about Marcus or Samm.

The story was fairly consistent throughout - until the end. Like, the last chapter. The last chapter was such a dramatic change from the one before it. I felt there should have been a bit more to make that transition. It felt like the author was trying to hurry up.

Despite that, I really did enjoy this story. I'm interested in finding answers...there are a lot of unanswered questions and a ton of unfinished business. I look forward to Fragments.

SUMMING IT UP -
Interesting! It doesn't shout "AMAZING" or WOW me in shock with awesomess, but I know plenty of readers who have loved this book. (Check out this review if you want to see what I mean: the drifting bookworm.) So while it wasn't the best book for me, and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, I'd say give it a shot if you're interested!

For the Parents -
A few crude or sexual comments. Reference to one of Kira's friends sleeping with a Senator to get pregnant. A few bloody fight scenes. Recommended 14+

*This ARC copy was provided by NetGalley in return for an honest review. I was in no way compensated; all thoughts and feelings expressed are my own.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

01/20/2012 page 20
4.0% "Very interesting...I like!"
01/21/2012 page 60
12.0% "I really really really love Marcus!! He's made me laugh out loud quite a few times so far! ;)"
01/27/2012 page 90
18.0% "Good book, fo sho! Really different than I was expecting, but I'm excited to delve deeper and see what's in store!"
02/01/2012 page 204
41.0% "Once I'm done with my book for book club on Sunday, I'm going to devour the rest of this book. Seriously."
show 1 hidden update…

Sierra Abrams Me too!! I'm about 116 pages into this one (I've been focusing on The Faerie Ring a bit more) but now I'm motivated. ;) I'm sooo glad to hear it's great! :D

Sierra Abrams Ahahaha those are always the best books! Mom-gushers - lol ;) I'll have to read some more tonight! Just tell me - without spoilers, if possible - is there more Marcus so far?! ;)

Sierra Abrams Oh dear me. I want him to be on every page. I'm sad that (view spoiler)! lol but I'm very very excited about what happens next! :D

Sierra Abrams oooohhhh ok I'll try to read to around there tonight! :D

Sierra Abrams Hahaha oh I totally understand and agree!! Oh, the highschool days... (Even though i'm only 6 months out of them - haha!) Oh that is awesome!! :D

Sierra Abrams Oh my!! It's already weird for me - I can't imagine THREE years! lol so fun tho!

Sierra Abrams YAY!! Oh wow you're going really fast!! :D So awesome! I need to finish this one soon. I have a lot of NetGalleys on my Nook that need to be read. So like, by Tuesday I need to have this one done. I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Sierra Abrams Hahaha ok!! And I need to start and finish Tuesdays at the Castle before Tuesday as well (haha - that's funny - Tuesdays on Tuesday!)...and I'm working and I dunno if I'll have time. Oh dear.