Slayermel's Reviews > The Laughing Corpse

The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jun 08, 2008

bookshelves: own, 2008, fantasy, fiction, series, vampires, zombies, female-authors, american, 20th-century, horror, paranormal, kobo
Recommended for: anyone who enjoys vampires or a supernatural mystery

Great story, very exciting!

This is the second book in the Anita Blake Vampire Slayer series. Anita has been asked to Raise a 300 year old corpse, but in order to raise something so old a human sacrifice is required and Anita refuses the job. In the mean time she is being called to one crime scene after another where mutilated bodies are being found and they are trying to figure out what could be leaving such a brutal path of destruction. There are a handful of people in town who are under suspicion, one being Voodoo priestess Dominga Salvador.

I loved the mystery about the murders and I found Dominga Salvador's character very interesting. It's not everyday you get to read about a powerful Voodoo priestess......she gave me the shivers. I also can't wait to see how Anita and Jean Claude's relationship progresses. How do you resist the Master Vampire of the City.

I have one problem with the book, and it has nothing to do with the story. Laurell K. Hamilton is driving me crazy with her constant descriptions of the guns Anita uses. Who cares??? I don't need to know that her favourite gun is a Browning Hi-Power 9mm, nor due I need her to tell me this same information over and over again throughout the entire story. I don't care that she's wearing a holster over her blue blouse, or she can fit a small what ever the hell kind of gun it was in the zipper pocket of her shorts. All I need to know as a reader is that she has a gun, knows how to use it and prefers to use silver plated bullets. That's it. Short, to the point and sweet.
Good Grief....
Do these useless gun descriptions continue throughout the entire series???

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Laughing Corpse.

June 8, 2008 – Shelved