Kelly's Reviews > Open Earth

Open Earth by Sarah Mirk

bookshelves: comics, read-in-2018, reviewed

The future is queer AF!

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through NetGalley.)

Out of the ruins of old Earth blossoms a new culture that's open, sexually liberated, and queer AF!

Twenty-year-old Rigo is an alien, of sorts: a human being born in space. Of Earth, but not from Earth. Rigo and her peers are generation of pioneers: space, political, social, sexual. The California's motto - "Serve the Greater Good" - is applicable to all areas of life on the ship, including the bunks. Among the tweens, teens, and young adults, monogamy is seen as taboo: it encourages social isolation and jealousy and works against peak genetic variation. "Friends with benefits" kinda sorta goes without saying; same-sex couplings aren't just tolerated, but accepted without question; and polyamory is the norm. Even the 'rents are a little kinky!

So when Rigo begins feeling a little too drawn to Carver, her queer and geeky lab mate, she's reluctant to give voice to these feelings for fear of being ostracized. Not to mention, coming as out conventional and old school, like her scientist parents. What's a curvy, pansexual, polyamorous refugee girl to do?

Open Earth probably isn't for everyone. There's not much of a plot, save for Rigo's attempt to navigate her love life while keeping her self-identity intact. While technically a science fiction comic, the story could take place anywhere. Or maybe not: perhaps it will take nothing less than hundreds of years and millions of miles from our current state of being to embrace such a radical and liberated (dare I say socialist?) ethos.

Anyway, I enjoyed the characters and the society and the general world-building. There's wonderful representation here, and I'm not just talking gender identity and sexual orientation. I'd love to see additional stories set in this 'verse, perhaps featuring characters we've already met (Rigo's parents being first on the list!), or those from California's past or future.

www.easyvegan.info/2018/09/25/open-ea...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open Earth.

May 21, 2018 – Started Reading