Melissa's Reviews > The Summer List

The Summer List by Amy Mason Doan

The Summer List falls into the category of impressive debut novels for me. I couldn't believe this was Amy Mason Doan's first time at bat! She struck one out of the park. (Pardon the baseball euphemisms, but it's summer!)

This novel was a wonderful tribute to friendship. It reminded me of The Gospel According to Drew Barrymore in terms of the friendship dynamic, air of mystery, and characters named Laura. Both books also shift between the present and the past to tell the story, and we learn new secrets about the characters over time. I love that part of the story took place in the nineties, and often at a roller rink. The mystery element kept me going throughout the book. Just when I thought I had something figured out, I was surprised once again. Laura and Casey were both sympathetic characters and I wanted them to find their way back into the friendship. I could relate to both of them for various reasons.

My only concern was that sometimes I felt like the story was trying too hard to get to the big reveal and so much new information was given that I had to try and remember what happened even a few chapters prior.

The story gave off a nostalgic feel that reminded me of my teenage years and wanting to hold on to certain friendships because of how secure they felt. It's the perfect way to get in the mood for the summer ahead!

Movie casting ideas:
Laura (adult): Mila Kunis
Laura (teen): Isobelle Molloy
Casey (adult): Kate Mara
Casey (teen): Willow Shields
Alex: Rebecca Ferguson (they can age her for the present)
Ingrid: Frances Conroy
J.B. (adult): Brandon Routh
J.B. (teen): Charlie DePew
Katherine: Kaitlyn Dias
Sam: Rob Reiner

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer List.

May 22, 2018 – Started Reading
May 22, 2018 – Shelved
May 22, 2018 –
page 194
May 26, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd Russell I agree that top-notch 1st novels are not the norm. Glad you liked this one so much. (P.S. Just ordered Limelight yesterday.)

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "I agree that top-notch 1st novels are not the norm. Glad you liked this one so much. (P.S. Just ordered Limelight yesterday.)"

Glad we're on the same "page" with that.