Ekaterine Xia's Reviews > To My Muse

To My Muse by Nicola M. Cameron

I loved To My Muse. Loved it. Loved Lily. Loved that she had a ride or die girlfriend. Loved how sweet Tom was.
Mostly though, it strikes me that Nicola was particularly brave in how she wrote this book, and I loved this book the more for it. TMM is very firmly rooted in the today and there's not a lot of high stakes in the usual sense. What Lily and Tom have to deal with are microaggressions, sexism, misogyny, #MeToo, and all the other things that are hidden landmines in everyday life.
As a writer, I know that the usual chestnut for writing "contemporary" romance is to never write anything that could put your story in a certain time period because usually the point of contemporary isn't the time period. Well, in this book Nicola's managed to make the time period the point and drives it home spectacularly. This is contemporary done in a beautiful way.
There's also a metric ton of in-jokes that kept me cackling and of course Nicola delivers with the one-liners and strong heroines and sweet heroes. But that's just extra icing on a really good cake.

P.S: Lily is biracial and I really liked how Nicola portrayed her, but I'm not Indian, so... discuss if needed?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To My Muse.

Finished Reading