Rusty's Reviews > Raising Stony Mayhall

Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory

Nov 26, 2011

bookshelves: prose, zombies
Read from November 26 to 30, 2011

First off, I wish I could give half stars, I want to give this four and a half, because while I absolutely loved this. Some of the religious allusions got to be just a tad too thick for me to really feel it was perfect.

Oh, what's this about? Imagine that George Romero's Night of the Living Dead was a documentary about a real uprising of the undead. The world moved on, because the governments told the masses that it was over. But really, when the dead rose from their graves and attacked the living, that was just the beginning. Because a couple of days later all those dead people regained their ability to be rational. Yes, the mindless, flesh eating, shuffling zombie is only during the first 48 hours. After that, things tend to get back to normal. Well, except that the zombies are still, you know, zombies.

Wow, when I explain it like that, it sounds stupid. Trust me, it's not. This book was absolutely amazing. Stony Mayhall is a zombie, but unlike every other zombie in the world, he seems to have some other purpose, a higher calling so to speak. A destiny.

I said before that the only thing in this book that detracts from it is that it really treads the line of becoming a religious allegory, I don't think that's what the author intended. But as the story went along I started thinking that I knew kinda sorta how it was going to end, because I knew the bible story that this zombie tale is based on.

Am I sounding downbeat about this. Let me focus for a moment on the good stuff. This is a pretty philosophical book. I loved that the main character is obsessed with understanding not only who he is, but how he functions. He wants to know (Just as I, as the reader, does) what makes a being that is by every definition, dead, suddenly be able to walk, talk, and think. His quest in life, is to find the answer to that question.

The characters are engaging, the story is powerful, and I have just become an enormous fan of Daryl Gregory.

Great novel.

Oh, makes me wonder, I've read several fantastic books in the past year that were all zombie tales. I'm impressed at the number of incredibly skilled authors that have taken on the genre.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Stony Mayhall.

11/26/2011 page 33