Kiana's Reviews > Daughter of the Siren Queen

Daughter of the Siren Queen by Tricia Levenseller

A few things I love in a book: entertaining heroines. Good pacing. Characters who have to make difficult choices, especially when it comes to loss and trust. Strong dialogue. And FREAKING MERMAIDS.

Needless to say, Daughter of the Siren Queen is a great sequel (dare I say even better?) to Daughter of the Pirate King and it’s also just a wonderfully entertaining bit of seafaring, supernatural fun in its own right. But to top it off, it's also chock-full of stuff that brings out my inner geek—mermaids are so awesome and underrepresented in (quality) literature and Levenseller’s portrayal of sirens is fabulous, with them being powerful and deadly as the ballads claim but also not completely soulless monsters. And the subplot of Alosa struggling to balance her siren nature out with her human one is a delightful bit of character work.

Some of the details from Daughter of the Pirate King have gotten a bit fuzzy since I read it last summer, but I do remember that it was an absolute blast, with quick pacing and fun character interaction, and we have all of that in Daughter of the Siren Queen and more. Now that we’re back on Alosa’s ship (as opposed to the first book, where she was a “prisoner” of Riden and his brother), there are far more entertaining supporting characters in the form of her crew (I was surprised by how much I came to care about many of them), and the banter between Alosa and her shipmates is crackling and witty. Alosa is a snarky, clever badass and I love her, and her growing relationship with Riden is both adorable and completely hot.

However, I would argue that this installment is slightly darker than the first book, mostly because of Alosa’s struggle to maintain her humanity when she gives in to her siren nature—a character's potential to unwillingly hurt those they loves thanks to a supernatural force inside of them makes for some of the most fascinating hero/heroine stories; there’s nothing quite like a character in conflict with themselves. Another heavier subplot (which was somewhat present in Daughter of the Pirate King but expanded upon here) is the abusive relationship between Alosa and her father, Kalligan, which I don’t think received the proper amount of attention—the insinuations about why Alosa remains loyal to her father despite his horrible treatment of her had some serious potential for self-reflection and growth, but this is largely forgotten in favor of the siren plot. (The main villain from the previous installment, Vorden, is also abruptly written out, but it’s sort of hard to complain when he wasn’t that formidable to begin with and the new conflict is so much more compelling.)

Daughter of the Siren Queen is not life-changing or masterpiece literature, but something even rarer and more precious in the world of reading—pure fun. This has all of the excitement and adventure of the (good) Pirates of the Caribbean films, with so many chuckle-worthy moments, bloody chases, smoking romance, and underwater intrigue galore. This series was entertaining and enjoyable start-to-finish, and the conclusion was more than satisfying. I’m so sad that it’s over.

4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Siren Queen.

May 13, 2018 – Started Reading