Randy's Reviews > Deep Sky

Deep Sky by Patrick  Lee

U 50x66
Nov 26, 2011

liked it

Concluding volume of a trilogy begun with The Breach and followed by Ghost Country.

Here's the set-up.

An accident in 1978 when a new Ion Collider was turned on created the Breach, a sort of wormhole. Several times a day, pieces of technology, dubbed Entities, come through, a technology far in advance of our own. It was all kept secret by the government and Border Town, a subsurface research facility grew up around it. No Entity could be taken off-site.

Tangent was the name of the covert organization that guarded the Breach. Travis Chase and Paige Campbell, his partner and lover, run Tangent.

The story:

The President is giving a speech when a missile hits the White House, killing him. It turns out that the missile was an American one, housed in the basement of an ordinary looking home just a few miles away. A message, See Scalar, comes through as an explanation.

Travis and Paige start an investigation of Scalar and find all files referencing it are gone.

Next when Air Force One is headed toward Border Town, the facility was receiving a false signal. A B-52 bomber instead, it dropped a bunker buster before it could be shot down, destroying most of the facility. Only Travis, Paige, and a half dozen others got out, fleeing before the inevitable ground troops got there.

Someone in the government was taking out everyone who knew about The Breach.

Our heroes are on the run trying to figure out who and why.

A number of twists and turns, an ending I didn't see coming, and it makes me want to read the first wo, Other reviews say the first two were better.

We'll see.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Sky.