Beverly's Reviews > Where Angels Fear to Tread

Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster

liked it

Called a comedy by some reviewers, I don't see that at all. It is tragic all the way round. There are comic aspects, especially at the beginning and I was as ready to laugh as anyone at the shallow, ignorant British tourist Lilia, falling in love with an Italian who is out of her class and social level. The novel is uneven in its mood and I can tell that it is Forster's first. He attains greatness in his later works, but here glimmers appear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Angels Fear to Tread.

May 20, 2018 – Shelved
May 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 13, 2018 – Started Reading
July 13, 2018 –
July 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

classic reverie Nice review, Beverly! I am one who loved this novel and A Room with a View. I felt this was great because it shows human longing for can not be and human nature in relationships in all its good and ugly aspects. The more I think about it the more I love it. So I just wanted to give my shout out about that, we all differ in taste which is a wonderful thing. How could this ever be called a comedy! I saw the movie before I read the book years ago and there was nothing like that at all! I read it a couple years ago and remember it very well, it was for me a search for something that turns out tragic at almost every turn. I have not read all of Forster's novels yet but I remember hearing only one book that had a happy ending and that was "A Room with a View" which even that had many thought provoking looks at life which is far from perfect.

Beverly Thank you classic reverie! I am glad I read it and I am going to read the rest of his books now thanks to your recommendations. He is a great writer and I don't know why I haven't read his others before. I got a great deal on a collection of his works on my Kindle, so I can't wait to read the next one.

classic reverie Looking forward to your thoughts as you read!😊

Beverly Thanks you so much! I always like your reviews too classic reverie!

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Insightful n honest review, Beverly!

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin The first novel of great writers aren’t always the best. I have enjoyed his later work also. Great review, Beverly!

Beverly Diane wrote: "Insightful n honest review, Beverly!"

Thanks so much Diane!

Beverly Paula wrote: "The first novel of great writers aren’t always the best. I have enjoyed his later work also. Great review, Beverly!"

Thanks Paula, yes I feel this is true of some writers and others that their first book is their best, like it was the baby they had to birth and so it is the strongest.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Beverly wrote: "Paula wrote: "The first novel of great writers aren’t always the best. I have enjoyed his later work also. Great review, Beverly!"

Thanks Paula, yes I feel this is true of some writers and others ..."

Your right Beverly. For many, the first is the best. I was thinking of the times I’ve read a new author for me and loved their latest work, but when I went back to read some older work it wasn’t as good.

Guess. You never know to you try what’s going to be good or not!

Beverly That's the truth! And sometimes, very rarely, the one everyone raves about is not the one that you like the best. Books are so personal.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Beverly wrote: "That's the truth! And sometimes, very rarely, the one everyone raves about is not the one that you like the best. Books are so personal."

Very true, Beverly! 💕