Optimist ♰King's Wench♰'s Reviews > Fireworks

Fireworks by Sarina Bowen

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, lost-s-blog

What I like so much about this series, plain and simple, is the Shipleys. The further removed from the Shipleys it gets, I've noticed my interest usually wanes. The problem is, we're running out of Shipleys.

Bowen's writing style is engaging and infinitely readable, as always. I mostly like Benito; he has his alphahole moments but he clearly worships the ground Skylar walks on and is upfront about it. Devotion and forthrightness are always good character traits in my book. I like Skylar. Benito and Skylar together, though, lacked the spark I've come to expect from Bowen. The razzle dazzle wasn't there for me.

They have a backstory beginning when she was 16 and he 18 told in flashbacks that, for me, I found unnecessary. I'm well aware of the teenage propensity to turn molehills into mountains and that coupled with high intensity emotions can lead to disaster. But of all the people whose word you're going to take, how in the sam hell did Jimmy Gage make the list? In twelve years it never once occurred to her to verify? And she's a journalist?

That I found a little unbelievable which, obviously, dovetailed into the second chance trope not working well for me. The opportunity to reconcile not just with Benito but with Colebury and Zara in particular, I did like. I'm just sad that it took twelve years to transpire.

I've mentioned before how much I appreciate Bowen's diligent efforts to keep the opioid epidemic and its catastrophic effects part of this series. Here we have Benito who's in law enforcement and Skylar's former stepsister is tangentially involved in the investigation which is what brings Skylar back to Colebury. It's a fairly intense subplot with the nefarious Jimmy Gage as the centerpiece, but I think it overtook the romance plotline. I liked the resolution and Skylar's role in it, though.

Colebury is as charming and cozy as ever which is part of what keeps bringing me back to this series and I always like catching up with its residents. In a nutshell, Fireworks is a nice addition to the series, but not a favorite of mine.

graphics3.jpg

A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireworks.

May 20, 2018 – Shelved
January 12, 2019 – Started Reading
January 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mandy  Smith They have the cousins Kyle and Keen was it? Also the twins Dillon and Daphne.. that’s 4 more books!

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Mandy wrote: "They have the cousins Kyle and Keen was it? Also the twins Dillon and Daphne.. that’s 4 more books!"

I think one of those K cousins *might* *could* be gay. I can't remember which one now but I was thinking he had something in the past with the baker at Audrey's coffee bar whose name I cannot seem to summon right now. :/

I would dance a jig for that book.