Beverly Laude's Reviews > The Faithful

The Faithful by S.M. Freedman

bookshelves: 2018, audio, apocalyptic, thriller-suspense

It's hard to categorize a book like "The Faithful". Is it apocalyptic? Is it fantasy? Is it sci-fi? Is a thriller? Well, it's actually a little of all of the above.

I didn't like the very beginning of the book. I usually get annoyed when an author starts out after the events of the book with a "prologue" that really isn't. You don't really know who the people were or what was going on in the prologue until the last chapter. I also don't know why the author wrote one chapter of the book from a first person perspective, then the next chapter was from the third person.

That being said, the premise of the book was different. Not necessarily original, but put together in an original way. Take a cult of fanatics, throw in psychic kids, kidnappings, mind manipulation, and cataclysmic events that will destroy the human race and you have an idea of what's in store.

The writing was pretty good for a first effort, but you did have to keep track of what was going on because the action jumped around a lot.

I listened to the Audible version of the book through Amazon Prima and the narrator did a good job. With so many characters, she did manage to vary her voice enough to portray the different people.

All in all, it's not great literature, but it was entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Faithful.

May 14, 2018 – Started Reading