Kirsten McKenzie's Reviews > The Smallest Thing

The Smallest Thing by Lisa Manterfield

liked it

Rating 3.5

In the end, I really enjoyed the story, but it was a slow start, and until I got to about 60% of the way through, I didn't care much for the protagonist or what she was going through.
The main character is your typical teenage girl, who cares for no one other than herself, and for the things she wants to achieve. And then disaster strikes and she is quarantined in her small village with the rest of town, and begins to watch people die who she's known her entire life.
Not a lot happens in this book, but the author very successfully writes a selfish teenage girl, in love/lust, and with a fractious relationship with her family. The small English town sounds straight out of the set of Midsomer Murders, and the author depicts that really well.
Given all we know about ebola and the spread of the bubonic plague etc, it wasn't hard to imagine this as a reality. It's also not hard to imagine teenage girls doing stupid things.
So yes, what I'm trying to say is that I enjoyed the book. It was a slow burn. I enjoyed the last third of the book more than the first third. There aren't too many characters for your to wrap your head round. There were some good spots of tension, and a nice subplot which ran through the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smallest Thing.

October 15, 2017 – Started Reading