rachel selene's Reviews > The Jade Temptress

The Jade Temptress by Jeannie Lin

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction

”you sit in gardens and dream of forests.”

i have mixed feelings about this one. i jumped right into it after finishing the first book in the series, the lotus palace, which was so rich and evocative that i couldn’t wait for more. jeannie is, as always, an excellent writer with a gift for imagery and sensory descriptions — the writing in this installment is stellar. i liked mingyu, clever and determined and fierce beneath the delicate flower facade, but i never really warmed to kaifeng, even after all the pains jeannie takes to remind us about the softness hidden beneath his lack of eloquence. moreover — the strength of the lotus palace was that it struck a nice balance between substance and romance, but the jade temptress is angst first and mystery second. there’s a whole lot of waffling around while nothing happens except mingfeng pining for one another (i just coined that ship name), and some threads felt unresolved to me at the end.

i actually loved catching up with yue-ying and bai huang — i don’t know if i realized how much fun they were until they were no longer my main characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jade Temptress.

May 20, 2018 – Started Reading
May 20, 2018 – Shelved
May 20, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
May 20, 2018 –
page 1
0.26% "i'm jumping right into this and i love mingyu so i'm excited!!"
May 20, 2018 –
page 48
12.5% ""do you wish to go?" madame asked her.
"i would never leave you," mingyu replied, equally emphatic. she touched a reassuring hand to the headmistress's arm. "the lotus palace is my home."
madame sun regarded her with a sharp eye, trying to pierce through the illusion created by silk and jewels and powder. perhaps they both lied to one another. perhaps they both knew it."
May 21, 2018 –
page 99
25.78% "i just wish she would stop telling us that mingyu finds kaifeng alluring and enticing"
May 21, 2018 –
page 161
41.93% "i loved mingyu in the first book but this one is dragging for me :/"
May 23, 2018 –
page 249
64.84% "the love story is iffy but this murder mystery is so good"
May 25, 2018 – Finished Reading