Deborah O'Carroll's Reviews > Horseman

Horseman by Kyle Robert Shultz

19951545

bookshelves: 2018-reads, 2018-release, 5-stars-awesome, alternate-history, epic-character-i-love, fantasy, muskets, mystery, myth-legend-fairytales, rereads, retellings, time, western, ya, realm-makers
Read 2 times. Last read April 21, 2018.

Someday, I may write a whole review of this book. Perhaps.
In the meantime, all you need to know about it is:

• It's by the author of the hilarious Beaumont and Beasley fairytale-retelling series.
• It's set in an alternate-history, magical version of the wild west, where legends and other tall-tales (like Rip Van Winkle, Paul Bunyan, and--naturally--The Legend of Sleepy Hollow) are history.
• It features a part-time centaur/con-man/monster-hunter by the name of Todd Crane. (He's descended from Ichabod Crane and is so snarky and I love him.)
• It also features Marshall Amy Crockett (descendant of Davy Crockett) who is out to arrest Todd. This makes things fun. XD
• And, finally, it features everybody's favorite (or... you know, possibly second-favorite, after Malcolm Blackfire--AHEM) dragon (with a Spanish accent), Julio Aquino (who may-or-may-not be Malcolm's son--JUST SAYIN').
• It's kind of like a buddy-cop story. Think Zootopia, but more awesome and with magical six-shooters.
• It's a little bit spooky, if that's not your thing (fair warning), but it's so funny that you won't care.
• There are cameo references to the Beaumont and Beasley books, for anyone who's read those; if you haven't, Horseman can stand alone, since it's part of a spin-off series (just set in the same universe).
• So much snark and hilarity. SO much.

But really, if you DON'T want to read a buddy story about a part-time centaur/con-artist/monster-hunter, a magical, no-nonsense Marshall, and their sidekicks--in the form of a Spanish dragon and a sweet-tempered teenage gorgon--as they try to defeat the Headless Horseman in the Wild Magical West... well... then... I can't help you. XD

(Disclaimer: I read Horseman week-by-week on Wattpad and loved it. Later, I was an editor for the book. I didn't need to write a review, positive or otherwise, and these are my honest opinions.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horseman.

Started Reading
May 20, 2018 – Shelved as: time
May 20, 2018 – Shelved as: western
May 20, 2018 – Shelved as: ya
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: realm-makers

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Deborah O'Carroll LOOK WHAT CAME OUT TODAY. :D