Julie's Reviews > Her Pretty Face

Her Pretty Face by Robyn Harding

bookshelves: e-book, 2020, domestic-thriller, gallery-books, psychological-thriller

Unsettling and engrossing!

Frances carries a lot of repressed burdens on her shoulders, which has manifested into comfort eating and weight gain. Her son has also faced a few serious challenges, but is now attending the prestigious Forrester Academy. Frances had hoped his acceptance into the school would change things for her family, but neither she, nor her son, has been well received by the other moms.

The only bright spot in Frances’s life is her friendship with Kate. Kate could quite easily fit in with the other mothers at the school, but instead she’s shunned them in favor of befriending Frances.

The two women forge a bond over their children, while refusing to conform to the Forrester Academy elitism. However, a stunning discovery could damage their relationship forever….

This is another book I pulled from the middle of my mountainous TBR pile. I’d seen mostly positive reviews for this one, but I believe it might have been one of the last psychological or ‘Domestic’ thrillers I added before making a conscious decision to take an extended break from books in this category.

Now, I’m having fun going back and plucking out a handful of the better sounding books in those categories and mixing them into my current reading schedule.

While somewhat understated, the story is told through various narratives and perspectives, while examining several intriguing themes and viewpoints. While certainly absorbing, the suspense is far from gripping, as the mystery is not much of a mystery.

Although I quickly ascertained the lay of the land, it didn't lessen the impact of the alarming set of circumstances that began to emerge as the story developed. I was left with a definite feeling of unease, despite the more positive progress made by many of the characters in the book.

The story does lack something I can’t quite articulate, but it had more substance and depth, and was more thought provoking, than I had anticipated.

Overall, a solid psychological/ domestic thriller that is a cut above for this category.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Pretty Face.

May 19, 2018 – Shelved
January 21, 2020 – Shelved as: domestic-thriller
January 21, 2020 – Shelved as: gallery-books
January 21, 2020 – Shelved as: psychological-thriller
January 21, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Great review Julie, sounds good! :)

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Fantastic review Julie! Oh my list 😊

Julie Sandra wrote: "Great review Julie, sounds good! :)"

Thank you, dear Sandra! 💖

Julie Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Oh my list 😊"

Thanks so much, Kim!! I think you might like this one! 💖

message 5: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Great review, it does sound good! ❤️

message 6: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron You've caught my interest with your intriguing review, Julie.

message 7: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie!

Julie Ceecee wrote: "Great review, it does sound good! ❤️"

Thank you so much, Ceecee! 💖

Julie Zoeytron wrote: "You've caught my interest with your intriguing review, Julie."

Thank you so much, Zoey!! You might like this one. 💖

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, Meredith!! 💖

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Excellent review Julie, it sounds pretty good 💕🤗

message 12: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Montalvo Thank you for that great review! I just added it to my list.

Julie Maureen wrote: "Excellent review Julie, it sounds pretty good 💕🤗"

Thank you so much, Maureen!! It was! 💖

Julie Margaret wrote: "Thank you for that great review! I just added it to my list."

Thanks so much, Margaret! Hope you enjoy it! 😊

Marialyce I so agree, Julie. Definitely a thought provoking tale. Excellent review!

Julie Marialyce wrote: "I so agree, Julie. Definitely a thought provoking tale. Excellent review!"

Thanks so much, Marialyce!! 💖

message 17: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Great review Julie! Sounds intriguing!💖

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Great review Julie! Sounds intriguing!💖"

Thank you, dear Kaceey!! 💖

message 19: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Fabulous review, dearest Julie xx

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Fabulous review, dearest Julie xx"

Thank you very much, Paromjit!! 💖

message 21: by Yun (new)

Yun Terrific review, Julie! I know what you mean about domestic thrillers being hit or miss, and I'm glad your return into this genre was a winner! :)

Julie Yun wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! I know what you mean about domestic thrillers being hit or miss, and I'm glad your return into this genre was a winner! :)"

Thank you so much, Yun! It helps to space them out a little! 💖

message 23: by Paige (new)

Paige Awesome review Julie!

Julie Paige wrote: "Awesome review Julie!"

Thank you so much, Paige! 💖

message 25: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Excellent review, Julie! 💗

Julie Michelle wrote: "Excellent review, Julie! 💗"

Thank you so much, Michelle! 💖

message 27: by JanB (new)

JanB Terrific review Julie. This sounds really good even if was a bit lacking.

message 28: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina I liked this one too. Great review Julie! The premise was "loosely" based on one of Canada's most notorious (couples) killers!

Julie JanB wrote: "Terrific review Julie. This sounds really good even if was a bit lacking."

Thank you, Jan!! I think it just needed a little pizazz! 💖

Julie Tina wrote: "I liked this one too. Great review Julie! The premise was "loosely" based on one of Canada's most notorious (couples) killers!"

Thanks so much, Tina!! Now that you mention it, I do remember reading that somewhere! 💖

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen Nice! Glad this one worked for you for the most part. Great review, Julie

Julie Jen wrote: "Nice! Glad this one worked for you for the most part. Great review, Julie"

Thank you very much, Jen! 💖

message 33: by Kendall (new)

Kendall I loved The Arrangement so really need to read this!!

Julie Kendall wrote: "I loved The Arrangement so really need to read this!!"

I can't wait to read 'The Arrangement'. I've heard it was really good! 💖

message 35: by Elyse (new)

Elyse  Walters Love the sound of you “plucking” through old books you have. I had a copy of this ones from the library.... if my memory is correct I didn’t finish it - only because of time ( other books out)..... but perhaps I will check my library again for a copy. Thanks💕

Julie Elyse wrote: "Love the sound of you “plucking” through old books you have. I had a copy of this ones from the library.... if my memory is correct I didn’t finish it - only because of time ( other books out)........"

Thanks so much, Elyse!! This one does require a little patience. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! 💖