Emily Northcutt's Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

Nov 25, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction, ya

Before I can talk about this book, I have to talk about some connections it instantly made with me.

I graduated from high school in 1994, which means that I could have been in high school at the same time as Emma and Josh (the main characters of this book). I got my first computer in 1995 and while this book is set in 1996, I also remember using dial-up to log onto AOL for the first time. How would high school/early college me have reacted to seeing on Facebook what my life was like right now in 2011? I have NO idea. I hope that she'd think this particular turn of events was pretty cool, but she most likely would have been a little weirded out. For instance, 1996 I wanted a puppy for Christmas and now that dog I received is 15 years old. I met the man who would later become my husband while we were at college in 1994, but he was just an acquaintance. What might I have done differently if I had known we were meant to end up together? What else would I have done differently?

Josh and Emma have to face what living their lives in the present means for their futures when they realize that they can see where their lives have led through mysterious pages they access on Emma's new computer. Everything they decide and do in their present seems to have implications for updates they see on their 2011 Facebook pages. The question is - how should they use this information? Do they live for the present or for the future?

I believe thatCarolyn Mackler and Jay Asher have created an intriguing book that can be enjoyed equally by teens and the adults who work with them. While there is nothing ground-breaking about a story where one of the main sources of conflict is whether he/she does/doesn't "like" someone else and most people are familiar with "the butterfly effect", this book puts these elements together and creates a story that is sure to start discussions. I love the work of both authors individually and I think their collaboration is extremely successful. "The Future of Us" was fun to read and I can't wait to share it with teens and adults!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.