A Klue's Reviews > Sweet Home Highlander

Sweet Home Highlander by Amalie Howard

** spoiler alert ** If you prefer more relationship angst than romance, well, you’ll feel right at home in Sweet Home Highlander. Just be prepared to keep company with one huge mountain of muscle, knucklehead hero who will test your patience time and time again. Why? Well, he is quick to point the finger and blame at the heroine instead of himself, along with his fury and hurtful accusations. It takes this unforgiving hothead pretty much until the bitter end to realize he was the main reason things ended so badly between them six years ago.

Niall was his own worst enemy back then and through most of this book. To make a wager that is sure to hurt and humiliate Aisla, the heroine, had me seething with anger and resentment. For her to come up with her own kind of crazy that lowers herself to his level and ultimately likely to backfire was just as frustrating. Niall pushing her away and not fighting for love on at least three separate occasions speaks for itself.

Therefore, in that regard, I guess you could say they were perfect for each other. Either way, their hearts remained broken and neither one walked away feeling like the victor. That was what wrecked me, folks, seeing them carry around so much hurt and wishing things were different but not trusting one another to make it happen. Sadly, Niall was still too quick to listen to lies a subcharacter, who wanted them apart, spewed in order to manipulate him.

After some life-threatening, nail biting drama, you would think the blinders would finally be off. But, no, miscommunications and jumping to assumptions still got in the way. Fortunately, one of them swallows their pride and summons the courage to do what needs to be done.

With writing that flowed, I did keep reading to see how this toxic relationship would play out. Despite my frustration, I clung to the hope a groveling hero would finally surface and heal their relationship woes. Once I got some insight into their young, hasty marriage six years earlier, it was clear Niall’s doubts, insecurities, and immaturity kept him from being the man he needed to be. The author certainly did put my heart through the wringer, as I watched this couple finally find forgiveness and move on with a love they profess never completely died. At least they both were celibate during their long separation.

Romance Safety Gang: (view spoiler)

Title: Sweet Home Highlander, Series: Tartans and Titans (Book 1), Author: Amalie Howard/Angie Morgan, Pages: 391, tons of relationship angst, angry, resentful, unforgiving, stubborn hero, almost dies, pushing away, misunderstandings, celibate during separation, OM wants to marry her, OW causes problems.

(I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not given any payment or compensation for this review, nor is there any affiliation or relationship between this reviewer and the author/publisher/NetGalley.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Home Highlander.

May 19, 2018 – Started Reading