Lucy's Reviews > Sadie

Sadie by Courtney Summers

bookshelves: contemporary, crime-mystery-thriller, dark, hard-hitting-contemporaries, young-adult, diverse-reads

“I wish his darkness lived outside of him, because you have to know it's there to see it. Like all real monsters, he hides in plain sight.”

Sadie is a harsh book to read. It is gut-wrenching and emotionally exhausting but also so worth it. The book begins with Sadie off on a desperate quest to find the man who killed her little sister, her whole world, Mattie. The story is split between Sadie's first person perspective and the other half is told through a podcast narrated by West McCray as he tries to uncover the truth behind Sadie's disappearance.

All of the aspects of this book were just so perfectly executed. I really felt so much suspense building up throughout, I was so stressed for Sadie and just desperately wanted her to get this wonderful happy ending which I knew was impossible. This is easily the best YA mystery i've ever read, it is so well written and impactful. My first ever Courtney Summers but definitely not my last.

Also, seriously the audiobook is fantastic!! I started reading my physical copy but switched to audio while I did some cleaning and just ended up listening to the entire thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sadie.

May 19, 2018 – Shelved