C.G. Drews's Reviews > Love From A to Z

Love From A to Z by S.K. Ali

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, young-adult, read-2019

Ohhhh, I so so loved this one! It's the kind of contemporary I adore: mixing soft squishiness and family and loveable characters...with harsher issues and deep conversations. It makes and breaks your heart. It so does. It's centred a lot around finding peace vs being validly angry. And the love and care and nuance that went into all the discussions was so palpable (another reason why #ownvoices books are so important).

marvels to love
➢ two POC Muslim teen narrators (who are perfect for each other and I love them and stop being sHY YOU TWO YOU HAVE FEELINGS)
➢ It's set in Doha, Qatar! I loved that it took us to a few places 😍am so here for being able to travel with books
➢ Zayneb was so powerful and fierce, but also soft and I loved her gentle side as much as her pointy moments. Quick tempered, but she knew how to apologise when she was wrong. And she didn't just sit back when discrimination happened. I admire her so much.
➢ Adam is the actual sweetest calmest thing. He is the ultimate cinnamon scroll. Recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, he's trying to figure out how to tell his dad, how to handle the illness, and also the fact that MS killed his mum.
➢ (am really really here for disability rep in books)
➢ so so much good dialogue
➢ it's told in journal entries and I loved the style and how they broke things up into "marvels" vs "oddities" inspired by a famous Muslim artist's work
➢ sadness AND happiness
➢ Zayneb would dump you all for French pastries and I am with her for life.
➢ so so much family!! little sister love!! epic aunt love!!! supportive parents!!!

Basically just put this on your to-read list, I am doing you a favour by demanding it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love From A to Z.

May 18, 2018 – Shelved
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 15, 2019 – Started Reading
November 16, 2019 –
page 167
43.49% "oh this is so good and I have many many feelings 😫💛"
November 18, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-star