Tanja Berg's Reviews > Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book

Beauty and the Beast by Jennifer Donnelly

it was ok
bookshelves: children-s-fantasy, fantasy, young-adult

My first encounter with this Stockholm syndrome love story was of course Disney. Then I read a fairly old version of the original fairy tale in which, I think, the servants were invisible. I might have read yet another version later, I can't recall. This particular book is a snippet from the original story, very much based on Disney. The characters are all cardboard and boring, there is far more telling than showing.

I picked it up because I read the first few pages, which were really good. There the two sisters, Love and Death, were playing a chess game while contemplating whether the Beast would learn to love and be loved in return before the last petal falls. Death is determined to stack the odds in her favor, by luring Belle into a book and keeping her there.

After this prelude, the story quickly deteriorates into the moving of stick figures against the familiar tableau of the Beast's castle. Best suited for ten-year olds. I knew I wouldn't be precisely in the target audience, but some grade school books are really entertaining even for adult readers. This one was not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty and the Beast.

May 18, 2018 – Started Reading
May 18, 2018 – Shelved
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: children-s-fantasy
May 18, 2018 –
page 58
17.01% "This isn’t quite my usual standard, but given that I have been awake 36 hours and will be jet lagged for days to come, it’s perfect."
May 20, 2018 – Finished Reading