Julie Davis's Reviews > Midshipman's Hope

Midshipman's Hope by David Feintuch

This was lent to me by the same friend who turned me onto Diana Wynne Jones. I have a fondness for military science fiction, even though I am not widely read in it.

This book takes the conceit that spacefaring ships would be set up following the model of Napoleonic times (cabin boy of about 12, midshipmen of 14-18, the captain's word is literally law, etc.) and sets us following the journey of Nicholas Seafort. 17 years old and not particularly good at a lot of the things that he should be, such as stellar navigating, he is nonetheless the senior middy. Another thing he's not particularly good at is dealing with overbearing bullies, but he must figure out how to manage them in his own life and for the sakes of the younger middies who become targets. A terrible accident kills the senior staff and soon Seafort is in charge of getting the ship and passengers to safety.

I've never heard of this series before and it begins rather slowly. However, trusting my friend and knowing that a big game-changing accident was coming up, kept me reading. It is not bad, just taking me a while to warm up to the universe and to care about the protagonist. Now that I've gotten to the very early crisis that sets everything in motion, I am enjoying it much more.

More to come ... as always!

UPDATE
I sure am glad that I stuck with the book. I now am really enjoying the story's many twists and turns. Poor Nicholas Seafort must be the unluckiest 17-year-old captain ever ... but for the reader the results are highly entertaining as he encounters one problem after another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midshipman's Hope.

November 24, 2011 – Started Reading
November 25, 2011 – Shelved
November 25, 2011 –
page 75
November 26, 2011 –
page 250
November 26, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Jeff Miller Horatio Hornblower in Space?

Does sound interesting as I like both military SF and ones involving British sailors in Napoleonic times.

Julie Davis I've never read Horatio Hornblower, although I know of him because of Star Trek! :-D

Essentially, yes. The second book, which I'm reading now continues with the theme ... and I am finding it similarly addictive even though many of the things that happen are leading me to believe poor Nicholas Seafort is jinxed.

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Horatio Hornblower and Honor Harrington have the same initials.

Jeff Miller Julie D,

I think you would like the Hornblower series. It is very fun and has a nice sense of the times. Though Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series is the best of this genre.

Julie Davis I may have to look for the Hornblower books. I have tried the O'Brien series several times and just can't ever get into them. Perhaps I'll have to look for the audio of the first book.That has cracked several books open for me and may work on these.

message 6: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew Connolly Julie wrote: "I may have to look for the Hornblower books. I have tried the O'Brien series several times and just can't ever get into them. Perhaps I'll have to look for the audio of the first book.That has crac..."

I read the first in the O'Brien series after reading all of the Hornblower books. I know that a lot of people seem to favor O'Brien, but I found Hornblower to be much more accessible and enjoyable. I'd recommend them.