Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews's Reviews > Mr. Flood's Last Resort

Mr. Flood's Last Resort by Jess Kidd

bookshelves: netgalley, traveling-sister-reads

Norma and I were lost in the heavy dense wooded coulee reading Mr. Flood’s Last Resort with four of our Traveling Sisters and we were swept up in the mystery and magic of this story that explores grief and loss. Jess Kidd does a good job bringing out some emotions here for us with the emotional depth that touches on grief and loss.

Jess Kidd does a fantastic job creating well-developed enduring characters here with our main characters Cathal and Maud. We really loved the dynamics between these two very different characters that really added some contrast to the story. We loved the dynamics that the other colorful and eccentric characters brought to the story as well.

What really stood out for us was Jess Kidd’s ability to blend a murder mystery set in a gothic mansion full of secrets and chaos with some black humor that adds some comic relief to the story.

Thank you so much to NetGalley, Atria Books, Simon & Schuster Canada and Jess Kidd for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

This is Traveling Sisters GR Reading Group Review and it can be found posted on our themed book blog Two Sisters Lost In A Coulee Reading.
Coulee: a term applied rather loosely to different landforms, all of which refer to a kind of valley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Flood's Last Resort.

May 18, 2018 – Started Reading
May 18, 2018 – Shelved
June 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)

message 1: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings) Excellent review Brenda 😊

message 2: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fantastic review Brenda!🤗💞

Diane S ☔ Awesome, Brenda.

message 4: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Terrific review Brenda 👍🏻

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Wonderful review, Brenda!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) It was a super read for us. Wonderful review, Norma!

message 7: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Fantastic, Brenda!

Meredith (WIFI  is working! Slowly catching up!) Wonderful review, Brenda!

message 9: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Great review, Brenda. Looking forward to this one.

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Miriam wrote: "Excellent review Brenda 😊"

Thank you, Miriam!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review Brenda!🤗💞"

Thank you, Kaceey!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Diane S ☔ wrote: "Awesome, Brenda."

Thank you, Diane!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Maureen wrote: "Terrific review Brenda 👍🏻"

Thank you, Maureen!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Diane wrote: "Wonderful review, Brenda!"

Thank you, Diane!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Marialyce wrote: "It was a super read for us. Wonderful review, Norma!"

Thank you, Marialyce!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Angela M wrote: "Fantastic, Brenda!"

Thank you, Angela!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Brenda!"

Thank you, Meredith!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Mike wrote: "Great review, Brenda. Looking forward to this one."

Thank you, Mike! I hope you really enjoy it!

message 19: by megs_bookrack (new)

megs_bookrack Murder mystery, gothic mansion & black humor...my aesthetic. Must get this! Great review :)

message 20: by KAS (new)

KAS Fabulous review, Brenda ;-) Glad you enjoyed!! XoXo

message 21: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth Fab review, Brenda! Can't wait to read this one. Have it on hold on Overdrive.

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews megs_bookrack wrote: "Murder mystery, gothic mansion & black humor...my aesthetic. Must get this! Great review :)"

Thank you, Meg! I hope you really enjoy it!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews KAS wrote: "Fabulous review, Brenda ;-) Glad you enjoyed!! XoXo"

THnak you, KAS!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, Brenda! Can't wait to read this one. Have it on hold on Overdrive."

Thank you, Mary Beth! I hope it comes in soon for you and you really enjoy it!

message 25: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Happy you liked it! Great review Brenda! 😊

Jaline Lovely review, Brenda! I wanted to read this one this year, but it looks like I will need to wait until next year. Too many books!! :)

message 27: by Kristin (KC) (new) - added it

Kristin (KC) Another great review, Brenda! SO looking forward to this one, and I also love the cover

Cheri Wonderful review, Brenda, so glad you loved this!

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Glad you all enjoyed it!!!

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen Nice review, Brenda!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader ANother wonderful review, Brenda! Love the coulees!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Happy you liked it! Great review Brenda! 😊"

Thank you, Suzy!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Jaline wrote: "Lovely review, Brenda! I wanted to read this one this year, but it looks like I will need to wait until next year. Too many books!! :)"

Thank you, Jaline!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Another great review, Brenda! SO looking forward to this one, and I also love the cover"

Thank you, Kris! I love the cover too. Gives me such a good creepy feeling

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Brenda, so glad you loved this!"

Thank you, Cheri!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Holly wrote: "Glad you all enjoyed it!!!"

Thank you, Holly!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Jen wrote: "Nice review, Brenda!"

Thank you, Jen!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister wrote: "ANother wonderful review, Brenda! Love the coulees!"

Thank you, Jennifer!

message 39: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Truly fantastic! Love the coulees.. makes me want to be there!

message 40: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Sounds like multilayered story well worth reading.
Great review.

JanB Terrific review Brenda, I'm so glad we read this together! 😊

message 42: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Terrific review Brenda!!! 💙🌻

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Crumb wrote: "Truly fantastic! Love the coulees.. makes me want to be there!"

Thank you, Crumb!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Barbara wrote: "Sounds like multilayered story well worth reading.
Great review."

Thank you, Barbara!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews JanB wrote: "Terrific review Brenda, I'm so glad we read this together! 😊"

Thank you, Jan! I am too. it was a fun read!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Kendall wrote: "Terrific review Brenda!!! 💙🌻"

Thank you, Kendall!

message 47: by Dana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana Loved reading this with you! Awesome review! Two in a row has officially made me a Jess Kidd fan!

Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews Dana wrote: "Loved reading this with you! Awesome review! Two in a row has officially made me a Jess Kidd fan!"

Thank you, Dana! So glad we read this one together!

Kevin Ansbro A fabulous review of a wonderful book, Brenda. Pleased you enjoyed it so!