Charli's Reviews > Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings

Mary Boleyn by Alison Weir

Nov 25, 2011

bookshelves: tudor-non-fiction

This book was a very pleasant surprise for me - I've read and enjoyed Weir's work before, however there is very little material written about Mary Boleyn that actually focuses on her. I (wrongly) assumed that this book would begin with Mary Boleyn, and then slowly digress into the life of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII's reformation, which provides the backdrop to Mary's formative years.

However, Weir goes to great lengths not to fall into this seemingly easy trap - she does go into some detail about the politics of Tudor England, and she inevitably touches on the rise (and subsequent fall) of Mary's sister Anne. However, these factors are only mentioned in context of Mary's life, and the main body of the text focuses on this previously little told story. This book is well informed and researched, and written in a way that really takes you to the heart of the time, making you empathise with a person whose been dead for over 500 years.

I would definitely recommend this book to any Tudor history fan, as well as casual history-readers -a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Boleyn.