Robert Kroese's Reviews > Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100

Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku

liked it

I got this book out of the local library because I heard the author on NPR and the book sounded interesting. I'm doing research for a near-future sci-fi novel and this sounded right up my alley.

First of all, the title is a misnomer. This book should be called Technology of the Future, as it's only tangentially about physics. The prose is painfully bad at times, tending toward cliches and mixed metaphors. Consider this gem, for example:

"Like a kid in a candy store, he delights in delving into uncharted territory, making breakthroughs in a wide range of hot button topics."

Or this one:

"In a word, perhaps no."

I found the references to Greek mythology and current cinema strained and pointless, and most of the content of the book is dumbed down to an almost ridiculous degree. It's also somewhat vague, repetitive and occasionally self-contradictory. Kaku is very "gee whiz isn't this neat" about everything and his attempt to deal with the social and ethical ramifications of the technologies he's gushing about read like essays written for a high school English assignment.

Still, there are some really cool ideas hidden amongst the nonsense, so if you get the book from the library like I did and skim through all the blather, it's worth picking up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physics of the Future.

Started Reading
November 25, 2011 – Shelved
November 25, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jennifer I read it to my 10 year old daughter at bedtime...