Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)'s Reviews > One Day in December

One Day in December by Josie Silver

16219087

liked it

3.5 stars. There were things I really loved about this, but also things I really hated and I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL. I thoroughly enjoyed this one but it definitely made me feel a little icky and I don't know what to do with that information lmao. I was rooting for the protagonists but I felt like I shouldn't have been. Also the love interest was kind of a shit for most of this? IDK MAN IDK. It was fun but I FEEL WEIRD OKAY BYE

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day in December.

May 17, 2018 – Shelved
May 17, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 18, 2018 – Started Reading
December 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

Iliana Matute Same the beginning was so good but then it was so much drama

message 2: by Sydney (new)

Sydney I was tempted to read this but then checked the synopsis and I don't think I can deal with 10 years of a woman living her best friends man. Like already sounds too much for me.

Sunshine I had a similar reaction to this book, mostly because I hated literally all the characters in the story. They did a lot of shady things that made them so unlikable and cowardly to me. On the other hand, I really liked the author's writing, so I might give her another chance.

ezgi sang Even though I agree with you, I gave this 5 stars because it just warmed my heart.. totally see your point though.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Ohhh you swore....

Andrea Yes. So many unhealthy views on romantic and marital love. I ended it feeling skeptical rather than hopeful for the future of Jack and Laurie.

Molly Yes! Yes! Yes! This exactly! I had things that just warmed my heart and other parts of the book just frustrated me!

message 8: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland Agree.

Nikkitha Bakshani I feel the same as you, but maybe worse—I found the characters really annoying and basic :/

Patricia Hackling same!! and i only gave it 2 stars. i found most of it to be frsutrating and not believable.

Alaina Pollard I completely agree. Jack was only good with Laurie. Otherwise, he was a complete jerk. I don’t think anyone you love should be that way with the rest of the world. I also definitely found myself wanting it to work out with Oscar.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa I felt the same way! Couldn't stand Jack at all. I didn't finish the book, just couldn't make myself do it.

Patty Wilson I agree that Jack was a jerk and I don’t see the romance lasting, but I am guilty of enjoying the book most of the way through.

Sophia Allen I was rooting for Oscar too! .. but then even he was a total disappointment. I didn’t like Jack at all. I was so confused about why I should root for him. I totally agree with this perspective - I really didn’t like any of the characters that much, but the writing and feel of the book was really comfortable and enjoyable. I’d still like to try something else by this author.. but no more Jack please

Sophia Allen (Oh but I did like Sarah.)

Liesl Istre 😂😂😂😂😂😂. Same here. I wavered between ⭐️⭐️ and ⭐️⭐️⭐️. I enjoyed it as a whole, but found the actions of the characters so far fetched at times. I think they all should have had counseling around 2010 and gotten their garbage straightened out by a professional cause after that year it dragged and dragged. They continued to beat a dead 🐴 and dragged his ass throughout. Oh well.......

PrettyFlamingo Laurie wasn't that bad actually, the others grated on me. I was baffled why she beat herself up so much over one kiss for goodness' sake. Nothing happened at all, and she made far too much of it. It was limerence, not love. I think anyway. And I don't see the appeal of Jack at all. He was unhealthy and only functioned with her, nobody else. He is a menace!

Catherine Hinken Thank you (everyone) for putting perfectly into words exactly how I felt. I wanted to love this, but there were a bunch of plot and character hurdles that are getting in the way! Sigh.

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I agree, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL!!!

Mommy Exactly how I felt.

Holly You're right. Jack is kinda a douchey immature shit a lot of the time.

message 22: by Issi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Issi I honestly feel the exact same way with the “icky” feeling. Between the cheating and the longing after your best friend’s boyfriend/girlfriend’s best over 10 years, I was glad to be done with the book. Oops.

Laurie Zara What can I say that hasn't been said..some parts were over the top for me but it did warm my heart as well

Cassandra McIntosh LOL! Agreed. I felt weird - like I knew they were going to end up together (obviously) so it felt like one long waiting for their interim relationships to tank...and then the "happy" relationships (like Luke & Sarah) they found after felt like patched together excuses to make the protagonists less terrible.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann Smiley I just finished it and am pretty conflicted--Jack is a jerk until it's almost too late, which is the end of the book. Other things bothered me too BUT I have to give at least one star to Laurie! I think there is a small piece of her inside me and I rooted for her from the beginning til the very end!

Mesho 👾 This is exactly how I feel. The cheating puts me off .

Kirsten G Chapman It’s hard to root for characters who are dishonest and disloyal to their best friends...also, the slow pace of the story made it hard for me to WANT to read it. Enjoyed it but didn’t love it.

Balaki85 I cannot even go past the first chapters. Love at first sight? Trying to find someone -you exchanged glances with once- for months? Am I too jaded by cynicism?

Amanda I completely agree! Jack is a cad. I’m only on about page 90 and I hate him.

Missie I think Laurie is stupid despite her university degree. Why didn't she just go back to that bus shelter to see if he might be a regular there? Is her brain pickled from all the drinking?
And don't London universities have placement offices to help their grads get better jobs than hotel desk clerking?

Nancy I kind of liked Laurie and Oscar together better than she and Jack. Oscar’s sudden change from doting husband to putting his career first seemed unrealistic.

message 32: by Karly (new) - rated it 1 star

Karly I hated it more than I liked it. Really thought I’d love it though.

Laura | What's Hot? Thought I’d love it but I hated it. Absolutely couldn’t get behind the characters when they were cheating/hiding things from their best friend etc. I don’t think their “connection” (ahem, seeing a man on a bus..) justified any of these things.

Bonnie Scott Yes! Totally agree! He started out so dreamy and then Was a total jerk and not deserving of Laurie. I wish she made him a little more kind hearted and lovable

Rebekah Gernhard I agree! I was ok with things up until the point were suddenly I didn't like Jack at all and I thought having Laurie get married and divorced was too much. I lost the enthusiasm for them as a couple. I think if she'd cut the time line in half she could have pulled this off much better.

Amber I agree with you completely!!

PrettyFlamingo I can't believe it is a year since I read this book. Where has all that time gone??

Jennifer Totally! This is my review!

Brianna I agree. I enjoyed Laurie as a character and even Jack for part of the book, but never found myself rooting for the main couple. The cheating, even if unintentional, really made it hard to like the characters at times throughout the book. I felt like she was happy with Oscar and that they would have been able to make it work so I couldn't find it in me to root for their ultimate demise so that Laurie could be with Jack, even though I was rooting for Jack and Sarah's demise because I felt that Sarah deserved better.

Jessica Cravens I completely and totally agree with this review! These were my feelings precisely. However, This was a great “fluffy” and quick read that’s good for a Book Club (which is why I read it) because it stirs up conversations on types of relationships and experiences.

Stephanie Yes I thought he was a douche.

Jessica omg this is EXACTLY my thoughts thank goodness

Whitley I agree! This one made me pretty sad about every character!

Donna Yes, me too!! I just really didn't like Jack for most of the book!!

Becca Paige Agreeeeed. There was so much hype about this book, and I was left with a bit of discontentment.

message 46: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars