Michele's Reviews > Threshold

Threshold by Patricia J. Anderson

U 50x66

For those of us who love it when the spiritual and scientific spheres resonate Threshold is pure delight. These two are connected not only on the level of theory, but also through a concern for the environment and those who live in it. Set in future time, this world is enriched by a layering of mythical allusions that make it somehow familiar. The main characters are animals, whose psychology we recognize, perhaps even more easily when it is embodied in a bear or monkey. The animals also converse about how perception happens and what is really real, yet their playfulness gives a lightness that keeps the book buoyant and moving.

The writing is superb from crisp dialogue and witty remarks to metaphors that illuminate complex science and spirituality. Common to Asian spiritual traditions, for example, the image of Indra’s net (a crystal at each juncture reflecting all the other crystals at the other junctures) surfaces at three key points to remind us of how interconnected we all are. Buddhists would also recognize the compassion of the main character, and a breath-taking descent into the void that could prepare a meditator for coming to rest in emptiness.

But one does not have to be spiritual to enjoy this exploration of how the world might go wrong if we do not wake up to what we are doing to the environment. The story is a cliffhanger with unexpected turns along the way. I read it in one session.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Threshold.

May 10, 2018 – Started Reading