Elle W's Reviews > Arklight: Operation Nightfall

Arklight by J.M. Myrick

F 50x66

They say to not judge a book by its cover, but I initially became interested in reading “Arklight: Operation Nightfall” because the cover art looked brilliant. Happily, the story underneath the cover was brilliant too.

Told from third person perspective from the point of view of several different characters, “Arklight” takes place in both 2016 and 1943. In 2016, we meet Arklight’s covert Spear Team on a mission to capture a high-profile terrorist. In 1943, we’re introduced to an analogous military team led by John Bell in the midst of World War II. These separate time periods collide when Spear Team is supernaturally transported back in time, in an effort to stop Hitler from creating a powerful weapon that could turn the tide of history. The story that unfolds incorporates an ancient Knights Templar journal, Nazi soldiers, lost artwork, modern-day terrorists, tactical action scenes, and— overarching everything—belief in a higher power to tell its inspired tale. If it needs a comparison, then think a Tom Clancy – Indiana Jones crossover with religious themes – but I think the novel and the author are distinctive in their own right!

As I mentioned, I thought this novel was really pretty brilliant. For a debut novel, it doesn’t read like one. The dialogue sounds believable and natural; there are a number of interesting plot points that keep the story moving quickly along; and the action sequences are precise, absorbing, and clearly detailed by someone with the experience to write them realistically. There are a few grammatical errors throughout the book, but nothing overwhelming that couldn’t be corrected in the second (and third and fourth and...) printing. The characters are fairly numerous, which can sometimes lead to character development that’s spread too thin, but I think in this novel you uncover just enough of each character to recognize how they’re important to the story. And the story itself— which blends military, history, time travel, and faith— is very unique!

Without revealing important plot points, one of the principal themes of “Arklight” is faith in God. Some of the characters have it, and some don’t. When these characters interact on the subject of faith, they seem to be mostly respectful of their individual beliefs/non-beliefs, and I found that to be refreshing. God as an unseen character is entrenched in the story and Christianity is prevalent, but the incorporation of Christian themes did not (at least in my opinion) feel heavy-handed or “cheesy” in the way that some Christian-based media can, and I think that’s an impressive feat to pull off in writing.

After finishing “Arklight: Operation Nightfall”, I’m looking forward to reading the sequel to find out where and who Spear Team engages in the next installment! Also, should it ever get that far, I think “Arklight” would make for an action-packed and inspiring film, and I’m looking forward to that too.

*I received “Arklight: Operation Nightfall” from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to J.M. Myrick for the opportunity to read his novel! Thank you also to BookTasters for contacting me about becoming a reviewer.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arklight.

May 17, 2018 – Started Reading