Siv's Reviews > Little Fires Everywhere

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

This book feels intensely personal, each character so carefully enfleshed that I could recognize them walking down the street. The primary conflict, lived out in multiple story lines, revolves around the clean-cut, well-planned suburban lifestyle versus the creative and/or unconventional lifestyle. How many of us wonder about life might have been like on the road less traveled? Also, what does/should family look like, and more particularly, what does it mean to be a mother?

"Now, as a teenager, Pearl's caresses had become rare--a peck on the cheek, a one-armed, half-hearted hug--and all the more precious because of that. It was the way of things, Mia thought to herself, but how hard it was. The occasional embrace, a head leaned for just a moment on your shoulder, when what you really wanted more than anything was to press them to you and hold them so tight you fused together and could never be taken apart. It was like training yourself to live on the smell of an apple alone, when what you really wanted was to devour it, to sink your teeth into it and consume it, seeds, core, and all." (249)

"Sometimes, must when you think everything's gone, you find a way....Like after a prairie fire. I saw one, years ago, when we were in Nebraska. It seems like the end of the world. The earth is all scorched and black and everything green is gone. But after the burning the soil is richer, and new things can grow....People are like that, too, you know. They start over. They find a way." (295)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Fires Everywhere.

May 17, 2018 – Shelved