Brittany's Reviews > The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes

did not like it
bookshelves: kindle-unlimited

** spoiler alert ** Ugh. This book was so frustrating. I have lots of spoilers but I couldn't write this review without them. First of all, this book was extremely predictable. I thought the big twist at the end was going to be that Marie was Bella. Throughout the book, there were comments that when I read them I thought to myself "ok so they are setting this up to be the twist". Such as Marie being an artist, changing her name from "Anna" to "Marie", etc. But then at the very end, it was revealed as an "almost twist" before Marie supposedly confirmed through her writing that she was herself? It would have been a much better ending if it was not made as obvious and then it really did end up being Bella and her and Elle could have met her grandparents that were still alive as have a more concrete ending.

Besides the anti-climactic ending, I was very annoyed with the fact that it was even a question of which girl was which. As if a parent would not be able to recognize their child with someone else's child, not even a real twin. That was a bit far-fetched for me. Also, we never find out how or why both girls fell down the hill in the first place, was Anna trying to kill Bella or vice versa? Or was it the mother? And another thing that infuriated me was how Elle thought for so long that Bella and Judy were made up despite everything she kept unveiling. I felt as the reader that it was obvious they were real people and it annoyed me that she was even still contemplating it.

It was also infuriating how long it took for Elle to drag out answers of everybody. I wanted to yell at her to just ask someone already! The mystery quality of it made me kept reading but I did not really enjoy this at all. All the characters made me angry and the plot had a good story but it could have been executed better. At first, I had two stars but then I had to change it one star because it really did just annoy the crap out of me. I'm not sure why I'm not on the same page as all of the people who loved it but this was not a win for me. Ok, I can end my rant now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Ones.

May 17, 2018 – Started Reading
May 17, 2018 – Shelved
May 18, 2018 –
May 22, 2018 –
May 22, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 30, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle-unlimited

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Lesley YES an honest review!

Caroline Armitage Did you ever want to yell at Grace. She infuriated me. How she couldn’t sit down with David waaaaay back and ask about Bella seriously. He would have confirmed there were two if he know his daughter was going cuckoo thinking it was all in her head.

Dawn Cooper Reread page 84 & 333. The clue is in who was the older of the 2. It cleans up the ending a bit.
Cannot say it was the best book I ever read, but it's not as bad as I initially thought. Although the last 3 paragraphs of the book are a terrible way to end a book, IMHO.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Could not agree more.