Ann's Reviews > A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers

A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor

bookshelves: historical-fiction, all-my-books, cultural-europe, 2019-read

...delicate beauty can be created by those who have known only hardship.

During 1886, Florrie and Rosie are young sisters who sell flowers as a way to earn money, until the unthinkable happens. Even though the epilogue begins with the two girls living in dire circumstances, by the time I completed the book the word 'heartwarming' came to mind.

This historical fiction novel is inspired by real people and events, including Victorian philanthropist John Groom's organization that he created help disabled children. As with the other novels by Gaynor that I have read, there is a dual timeline. In this instance, I didn't mind the two intertwining stories. Although I otherwise enjoy Gaynor's writing, I did mind the series of incredibly coincidental events and the romance that was used to to tie the whole thing together. A more believable set of circumstances in the 1912 timeline would have made for a much more satisfying and believable story.

For readers who enjoy beautiful book covers and feel-good stories about people who overcome adversity, I'd still recommend this book. 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Memory of Violets.

May 17, 2018 – Shelved
May 15, 2019 –
May 17, 2019 –
May 17, 2019 – Finished Reading
June 17, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-read

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Great review, Ann. I’m glad you enjoyed the writing and historical aspects of this book which helped compensate for its flaws.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Thank you, Donna. :-)