Ivana - Diary of Difference's Reviews > Cryptid

Cryptid by Michael Kott

28198445
View my review on my blog: www.diaryofdifference.com/2018/06/08/...

Cryptid by Michael Kott is the second book of these series. It is a sequel to the Piasa, and you can find my review on that here. I have to admit and say that I didn’t enjoy Cryptid as much as I would like to, and you’ll find out why soon.

About the book:

Cryptid continues to tell the story of Sara, a girl that survives a car accident, when all her family dies. While in the first book she meets Mike, who gets her a job as his assistant in his adventures, in this book we will see Sara still maintaining that position, but a little bit from the background. When a few cats that look like leopards will appear at the museum, people start to get scared, and the police wants to shoot the animals. Then Mike and the team come to the rescue, to try and identify what the cats are, and save them from dying.

Review:

In Cryptid, we will be introduced to a couple new characters, some of which I happened to be very fond of (Hi Xenia!). The good thing for me was, that I could get a bit of a break from all the Sara moments. The thing I didn’t like was the fact that their background was too short and untold, and they kept making decisions based on the past that we didn’t know (I will mention Shannon’s decision here).

My favourite moments of the book, were, of course, those where Sara wasn’t there. Followed by my previous review of the Piasa, I sometimes like the character of Sara. But I also couldn’t agree with her. I couldn’t understand her character, behaviour and decisions. Maybe it is because of my own childhood. I mean, luckily, I haven’t lost any of my family, but I have lived without both parents in those crucial years, raised by grandparents, while having a little sister to look after, and having an aunt similar to Pamela to guide me through my worst. But I was never this arrogant, self-centered and desperate for ME-ME-ME attention like Sara. Whoa, that lady really can push my limits sometimes.

The same goes with everyone around Sara that constantly tries to please her, and make sure she’s not upset.

And what is the reason that all of the characters are losing their shoes somewhere?

Unlike Piasa, in this book the focus is only on one big event, at two main places – the park and the museum. Apart from a few places in the introduction, the whole story keeps us around these places, which I particularly didn’t mind, but some people may or may not find it boring.

I was a bit sad because I really like Mike, and he wasn’t as present with his story as his was in the other book. I expected to see and learn a bit more of him.

Not to be all negative though, there were a few moments that I really enjoyed! I loved to read about the sisterhood of Pamela and Xenia, and the beginning of the book was fantastic. Xenia is also such an incredible character, and I really admired her. I also loved the explanations on the different kinds of cats and their latin names and meanings.

All in all, I am a bit sad to say that this will be a 3 out of 5 stars. Especially because the author, Michael Kott, is a dear friend of mine, and I greatly enjoyed the Piasa. I may have expected a bit too much of this book, that left me disappointed. But I do believe that some of you might greatly enjoy it! If you like Young-Adult fiction, and stories about mystery animals and cryptids, you will definitely enjoy this book!

Thank you Mike, for sending me a copy of the Cryptid, in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest |

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cryptid.

May 17, 2018 – Shelved
June 4, 2018 –
page 207
June 6, 2018 –
page 275
99.64% "Finished - Will review soon!"
June 6, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: crime-mystery-thriller
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: sent-by-author
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: giveaways
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Kott Hi Ivana,
I just found this on Goodreads. Since you didn't review it there they didn't notify me it was on your blog. I appreciate your review. Your summary was excellent and please dn't apologize for what you didn't like! I loved your review.
Mike

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Kott Hi Ivana, It finally showed up via an email from Goodreads. I still love your review and it probably discouraged me from continuing this story as the next one would have been all about Sara. You mentioned not enough about the Mike character and the reason was agents kept telling me it's YA so it should focus on the YA characters and not the adults. Sadly, I listened to them. I no longer will write 'YA.'