Emily May's Reviews > The Queen of Nothing

The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2019

"By you, I am forever undone."

Was this series the most perfectly-plotted? The most unique? Did it break any new ground? No to all of the above. But I read every page of this with my heart pounding and a lump in my throat-- how many perfectly-plotted, unique and ground-breaking books can I say that about?

These books are a serious addiction for me. I have been obsessing over this conclusion for over a year and imagining so many wonderful and awful ways it could end. I wasn't disappointed. It was thrilling, (mostly) satisfying, and VERY HOT (view spoiler).

I am in that perfect blissful misery that us readers know all too well... feeling wonderful because I have just read a book I loved, and feeling depressed because what the hell do I do with myself now? 😭

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Nothing.

May 16, 2018 – Shelved
November 21, 2019 – Started Reading
November 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)

message 1: by Tatiana (last edited Nov 21, 2019 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana I don't know, I think the tail added a little... something extra to it. It worked for me. Haha.

Tana △⃒⃘ ⚯͛ Cozyreadings Haha the tail also didn't work for me, just felt out of place!

Karolina I'm also in the "what the hell do I do with myself now" mood 😂 🤦 Don't know when will I be soooo in love with a book or it's characters...

message 4: by MA (new) - rated it 4 stars

MA I love Cardan’s tail 😂

Dandara Omg i can't wait for this book

Leighellen Landskov THIS WAS THE BEST!!! I absolutely LOVED this book. This whole series was YA Candy for me. I'm so sad it's over but may go back and read Cruel Prince again. Holly Black is QUEEN!

Kacey Why does Holly Black have to remind us of Cardans tail at all the worst moments 😂

Brittany I’m so glad you enjoyed this one!

Chrissy Haha, I could have done without the tail too 😂

Emily May Tatiana wrote: "I don't know, I think the tail added a little... something extra to it. It worked for me. Haha."

Definitely a little something extra 😂😂😂

message 11: by mays (new) - rated it 5 stars

mays same!! these books are an addiction for me, I expected something more from this one but still it's a 5-stars read😍

Swarnali Paul I put on reading this series for so long because I saw people going crazy waiting for the last book. All I can say is that the last 3 days have been my best reading experience . And throughout the experience my heart was in my throat.

Hafsa I was not a fan of the tail before but didn't mind it this scene it was so hot!! I think holly black ended it perfectly with everyone screaming for more. I want to reread curseworker series now because cassel and lila have bit of cardan abd jude vibe .

message 14: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex I was never big on the tail either... but I guess I never remembered or realized it was furred? For some reason, a furry tail seemed worse than whatever my brain was imagining, and as soon as I saw “the furred tip” I started imagining the Cowardly Lion idk why 😂😭

Livia Zapata I just wish there was more of cardan in this book... jude was incredibly badass tho i love her

Olivia (ebooklivv) I felt like it all happened very quickly. I wish it was longer and things could have been more drawn out. But I also love this series so much and I just want more haha

Olivia (ebooklivv) I will sell my soul for the barnes and noble edition with Carden's letters

A'lonn Bilbray The tail was a no for me as well😂

message 19: by Peggy (new)

Peggy K Now I have to read this book only because I need to see what a make out scene with a tail looks like

Stephanie O'keefe Reading this now...and I am SO EXCITED you still loved this series’ last installment. I’m trying so hard to savor it.

Lerizza Mae (books&teacups) I'm glad that you liked it! It saddens me that the story is finished but I'm still hoping that we will get a novella about Jude and Cardan ruling together.

Azizia Knowing your reviews I’m surprised you gave it 5 stars

Miranda Fouchey Loved this! I thought it was a great way to end the trilogy. I wasn’t sure how she would start this book after that cliffhanger in TWK, but I was pleasantly surprised, if not frustrated, that I didn’t think of the whole “you could have come back anytime thing”. I had lots of feelings through this read. I ended up reading it in one sitting, I was so sucked in.

Manasa I loved it. Even the tail 😂 I mean I don’t mind a little tickle, adds to the pleasure I guess

Lindsey Agreed!! :)

Susie Wang Me when I read the tail part: lol did she write the fanfic that I read about a year ago on AO3????? That scene is practically identical to that fanfic. I was legit convinced Holly Black herself was on AO3, writing smuts and smugly admiring her handiwork behind the screen.

Also, there's a fanfic in which Jude figures out the playing of words on Cardan's part, and returns on her own. Are these fanfic writers hiding in Holly Black's pantry or something? I'm not going to complain, though. I'm enjoying the hell out of those smuts.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Argh! I REALLY need to get my act together and read The Cruel Prince!!

Jaclyn Woods "though I could have done without the tail, personally 😂" LOL. That WAS an extra something.

message 29: by 2bFrankk (new) - added it

2bFrankk I need to read this series!! I received the first book over a year ago, maybe even 2 now, from either owlcrate or fairyloot and it has just been sitting on my shelf staring at me since!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

message 30: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat yes yes yes! had to finish the book in one seating because it was so riveting.

Lourdes.Rosano Amen <3

message 32: by Maricel (new) - added it

Maricel Tail is good...tail is ok...kinky good...bwahhaha. 😈

Nishi Ok.. I don't see it.. I can't imagine Cardan without a tail..

Ingvild S I'm so glad I read this review! I started the first book last night and are now in the middle of the second, and I LOVE every minute!!

message 35: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Cardan probably jacked off using his tail instead of his hand....or better yet he probably put his tail in his asshole and totally got off on it.....what a turn on.....Cardan is so hot

Amanda Fithian it’s been a long time since I’ve counted down to a book’s release and i’m totally reeling from a great book hangover. i wish it had been twice as long!

Amanda Fithian also- if you’ve got any hate-to-love fantasy books off the top of your head, i’d love to hear them. trying to fill that void now and that’s my favorite trope at the moment. original story ideas is not high priority atm, just some good ol’ sexual tension in a fantasy setting is all i need for my escapism. don’t judge me haha

message 38: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Yes girl! Sexual tension helps most people escape, you ain't being judged haha

Emily May Amanda wrote: "also- if you’ve got any hate-to-love fantasy books off the top of your head, i’d love to hear them. trying to fill that void now and that’s my favorite trope at the moment. original story ideas is ..."

It's definitely not as good as this series, but I did just read Serpent & Dove and I really enjoyed the love/hate in that :)

Marie I feel you! I don't know what to do with myself. I guess I'll reread some parts. 🙈

Sophie I remember finishing the second book in this series and being so frustrated that I'd have to wait to see what happens, and now that time has come! Excited to read it after seeing your review.

Allysa Kim I felt like it was a little bit rushed. I'm quite surprised that you loved it. Although I think the intent was to really leave the readers asking for more. Nonetheless, Holly Black did a good job with these books. They're still my fave!!!!

Deborah SAME

Imogen I honestly had forgotten about his tail throughout the first two books but I didn’t hate it here. I don’t usually read fantasy but I loved this series. Now that it’s over I need recommendations of other great fantasy books or books anybody thinks are similar to this in some way. Are Holly Black’s other books as good?

message 45: by Caoimhe (new)

Caoimhe i didnt really care abt the tail...but I loved this story...and am so sad to finish it
I really don't know what to read nowww.... Recommendations anyone?

message 46: by booksinbloom_ (new)

booksinbloom_ Did Jude and Cardan end up together?

Leigh I totally agree with your entire review! I loved this series. And the ending was perfectly satisfying. I also love the quote you picked at the beginning of your review - I have it written down, as well - my favorite words from the series!

Meera I agree completely, the world and the characters hooked me so irrevocably that I didn't mind the parts in which the plot could have been more intricate. I only wished for more of everything. Of the world building, the seeming, the Lust and love, the characters, the fairy tale of it all. It was an enjoyable, wild ride!
PS: Yes to the tail! I thought the playful way he, ugh, used it and how it betrayed his emotions better and truer than is facial expressions were a really clever tool of the narration! Plus, yes, it does add a little kink, and I am not sorry. :D

message 49: by Ana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ana Morales 😭 I gotta wait like 2 months before I receive my library copy

message 50: by Dary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dary but the tail is the BEST part

« previous 1