Carol (Reading Ladies)'s Reviews > Convenience Store Woman

Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata

bookshelves: quirky-characters, authors-of-color

Quirky characters are my favorite! Labeled as a strange child, Keiko feels secure and safe at work and loves that all the workers are equal when they’re in their uniforms. The routine tasks of the store help her feel normal. She buys most of her meals at the convenience store and doesn’t know how to be normal outside of her work environment. Keiko is dedicated to her job and the sounds of the store comfort and calm her and become the soundtrack of her life.

Through this story, readers also learn about the role of convenience stores in Japanese culture. Keiko most likely falls on the autism spectrum but is undiagnosed. (This possibility is never mentioned in the book.) She knows though that she’s not “normal” and copies the clothing styles, mannerisms, and speech patterns of her peers in valiant and courageous attempts to gain acceptance. Keiko loves her job as a convenience store worker and excels in the position. After eighteen years her family and friends think she should get a real career or at least get married. Keiko earnestly and bravely attempts to meet their expectations. Will she find happiness outside the comfort and security of the convenience store?

The only part of the story I was less than thrilled with is the introduction of Keiko’s male friend. He goes beyond quirky and is creepy, a manipulator, and an opportunist. I’m sure he’s an important symbol that we’d all have a great time discussing in lit class! I’d love to hear the author expound on why she chose this character for her story.

Nevertheless, I love Keiko and admire her strength of self and still think about her and wish her the best.

For more reviews visit my blog: readingladies.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Convenience Store Woman.

May 16, 2018 – Shelved
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 14, 2018 – Started Reading
June 15, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 14, 2018 – Shelved as: quirky-characters
January 25, 2019 – Shelved as: authors-of-color

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Lyall Kinda reminds me of Eleanore Oliphant is completely fine

Carol (Reading Ladies) Sarah wrote: "Kinda reminds me of Eleanore Oliphant is completely fine"

Yes.....I love these brave characters!