Lizzy Chandler's Reviews > Beyond Fear

Beyond Fear by Jaye Ford

6203320
Nov 24, 2011

bookshelves: australian-author, australian-women-writers, crime, friends-books
Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy

What could go wrong for four thirty-something girlfriends planning a weekend away from husbands and kids in the remote Australian countryside? Plenty! Walking the knife-edge between caution and paranoia, Ford's heroine, Jodie, appears gutsy and damaged by turns. Is she right and there's something seriously creepy about the visitors who turn up at their remote holiday house? Or has the trauma of her past finally caught up with her?

Beyond Fear is a book that grabbed me from the first page and never let me go. Even though I'd read it in manuscript, once the book was published and in my hands, out went the cooking and the housework. Luckily I had time off work and could devour it in one sitting. Everyone I've spoken to who has read it has literally not been able to put it down.

According to the Jaye, the story was inspired by the real-life stabbing of a teenage girl who witnessed her best friend's rape and murder before being left for dead. The story's premise begins with the scenario - how would such a woman react years later when confronted by another potentially violent situation? Would she cave or cope?

As a dedicated fan of psychological thrillers from Nicci French and others, I loved the fast pace and all-too-human characters of this page-turning novel. An incredible debut for first-time author, Jaye Ford - hopefully it's the beginnings of many great reads to come.

Jaye's second book, Scared Yet?, is due out in Australia in March next year.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Fear.