Emmi Rose (emmirosereads)'s Reviews > Rule

Rule by Ellen Goodlett

bookshelves: four-stars

Thank you once again to TheNovl for sending an ARC for a review

Okay, I'm just going to start off by saying that this book was freaking amazing, and epic and I cannot wait for the sequel! Especially after that last chapter, and the last page, like WHAT!!?? I don't know how I'll be able to wait when this book isn't technically out until September, haha! If you're looking for an amazing high fantasy with incredible world building, fantastic characters, and a stellar plot, look know further! If you love mystery and lots of political intrigue, you'll love Rule. Also can we talk about how almost all of these characters are described as people of color and we also have a queer main character!

Okay, like I mentioned above, one of my favorite things about this book is the world building! As a writer myself and knowing how hard it is to create such a vastly different world from my own, I feel it's something I appreciate even more. This was such a refreshingly unique world and I loved learning about it. From the religion, to the politics, to how things are run, etc, etc. I do wish we could have seen a little more of it, more so then just hearing about it, but I completely understand that doing so wouldn't really serve the plot in this book. Nevertheless I do hope, maybe we can see more of it in book two.

Of course the plot and story itself was amazing and truly kept me on the edge of my seat! I was hooked from chapter one and this constantly kept me wondering what was going to happen next. There were a lot of twist and turns that were revealed that just kept adding to my love for this book. I'm going to be honest, as the book kept creeping closer to the end, I thought it was going to disappoint me. I had thought I already guessed who was behind everything, and nothing too crazy was happening and nothing would shock me how I love to be in books. But, I was totally wrong! Those last few chapters completely turned my opinion around and like I said before I just loved that last chapter especially. I just have so many questions now!

I also loved the characters in this book, especially, the three sisters of course! They are all so vastly different from each other which I just loved seeing. I think Ellen Goodlette did a pretty good job on weaving three very different stories together in a way that makes sense and just telling the story of three completely different girls, raised in completely different ways. If I had to pick a favorite character I think I would probably have to choose Akeylah! I think she was the one I related to the most, and the one I would be if I was thrust into this world and situation. I think Zofi is a close second though! I just adore how fierce and strong she is. I also loved Vidal and Rozalind, like a lot! I hope we get to see way more of both of them because both of their stories interest me so much.

I think the only reason I'm knocking of half a star is because sometimes the narratives for each sister could sometimes feel a bit repetitive. This wasn't obviously a huge problem and didn't happen at all that often. I just felt like similar things happened to all three of the girls so it could feel that way in some parts of the book. Also I'm an impatient person sometimes and some chapters would be left on a cliff hanger from one girl's POV and then we would jump into another completely different POV and we would have to wait a few chapters to come back to the other POV. Which of course is important to the story but I just want to know what's happening like instantly, haha! Though these couple of things did bother me a little, it really wasn't like a super huge deal and obviously didn't effect my enjoyment of the book that much at all.

Basically in short, this book was so, so good and I HIGHLY recommend picking it up when it's released in September! And of course I'm way too excited about the sequel because I must know what's going to happen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rule.

May 16, 2018 – Shelved
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 4, 2018 – Started Reading
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 5, 2018 –
page 48
12.77% "Holy crap, this book is so good! 😍😍 Not that far in but I'm completely hooked. Reallly hoping I continue to love it. 🙈"
June 5, 2018 –
page 73
19.41% "I really want to take this slow and catch every detail! It's kind of a lot to keep straight but still loving it. ,💗"
June 7, 2018 –
page 202
June 8, 2018 –
page 384
100% "Okay, this book was so freaking good!! 😍😍 I thought I had predicted who was behind everything but I was wrong. 😅"
June 8, 2018 – Finished Reading