Shhhhh Ahhhhh's Reviews > The 4th Revolution: How the Infosphere Is Reshaping Human Reality

The 4th Revolution by Luciano Floridi

bookshelves: currently-reading, high-value
Reading for the 2nd time. Most recently started May 27, 2018.

I would not recommend this book to everyone, and that is a considerable factor in my rating of the full 5 stars. This book is ahead of the curve and stands head and shoulders above other books I've read about the future of our species. The information density is high enough in this book that any sufficiently brief summary (say, 20,000 characters) will rob the book of it's weight and substance. There are a lot of novel ideas here. So many that I am going to buy a physical copy of the book to annotate. The broadest of brush strokes on the book can be found in the following paragraph though.

This book is about the future. What differentiates it substantially from other books that attempt to paint a picture of the future is, I believe, the nuance with which the evaluation is undertaken and the accuracy of the model used. Floridi describes our world as transitioning from Prehistory to History to Hyperhistory, with different societies living in different stages of development simultaneously (like isolated uncontacted tribes). Hyperhistory can loosely be defined as the portion of our development where we begin to conceptualize our entire universe as information, programs, and systems, including physical and social structures. (Anyone who has read the information or studies anthropology or sociology can probably get a sense that this has been going on for a little while already in the 'west'). This way of understanding the universe reframes the way that the people in a hyperhistorical society operate in relationship to everything, but explicitly with what we call relationship now (encapsulated information). Hyperhistorical societies are ones in which people no longer have a meaningful distinction between being online and offline. Everything will be online, or on-life as the author puts it. The rest of the book is the full elucidation of this idea, including copious examples of each sub-idea, frameworks with which to work with the new set of concepts he's introducing and a large segment on needs fulfillment and pitfall avoidance for a hyperhistorical society.

As I said, I plan on annotating this book later (and potentially uploading quotes at that point), so I won't go into too much detail in this summary.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4th Revolution.

Quotes Shhhhh Liked

Luciano Floridi
“The illusion that there might be a single, correct, absolute answer independently of context, purpose and perspective, that is independently of the relevant interface, leads to paradoxical nonsense.”
Luciano Floridi, The 4th Revolution: How the Infosphere Is Reshaping Human Reality

Luciano Floridi
“The technophile and the technophobe ask the same question. What's next?”

May 16, 2018 – Started Reading
May 16, 2018 – Shelved
May 16, 2018 –
May 17, 2018 –
24.0% "Holy crap this book is amazing."
May 18, 2018 –
38.0% "Revolutionary read so far."
May 19, 2018 –