Torzilla's Reviews > Brown Girl, Brownstones

Brown Girl, Brownstones by Paule Marshall

Nov 24, 2011

bookshelves: college-reads, reviewed
Read from November 21 to 26, 2011

Read this for my African Lit class. Hated the beginning, due to the barrage of names and POV swaps. I found it to be extremely jarring and was pissed that I had to read a book like this. I think I actually fell asleep on the train ride home at one point, while trying to read the start, heh.

Then something happened, and all of a sudden the story, its characters, and everything else just... clicked. I was glued to the pages, albeit, there were moments where the story dragged. At least it was not often. Overall, I found it to be a rather enjoyable read, and the character development was wonderfully/convincingly executed.

I hated "the mother," felt myself pitying the mother, and then feeling a sort of satisfaction as mother and daughter came to an understanding by the end of the book.

This isn't going to be some entertaining read, and probably not what many would find an enjoyable time killer. Then again, I could be wrong, and perhaps some will find this to be just that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brown Girl, Brownstones.

08/05/2016 marked as: read