C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Princess and the Fangirl

The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, read-2018

This was all sorts of geeky fluffy cuteness...which is just what I was hoping for! I loved Geekerella and this one fits in as a companion novel: same world and reoccurring characters, but different protagonists from Geekerella. You probably could read it as a solo? But there'd be a lot of confusing references. Also *raises hand* I was still, um,,,,confused I confess because I read Geekerella so long ago (and don't own it to reread sob). And I know you shouldn't compare books to their older sisters but...yeT. I didn't connect to this one as much as I'd hoped.

➸ It's set at a con!
So the nERD IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE. Like literally, the love (and wariness) of nerdom culture is just everywhere here. The slang is so Gen Z it's just amazing lmao, and they quote movies and are in fandoms and the term "he's a burnt Hufflepuff" is in here so like what more can I say. This book LOVES fandoms. But....it still pays attention to the toxic side. Which, like holy heck, it gets worse every year. Since our two protagonists (Jess the movie star and Imogen the fangirl) are on opposite sides of whether they love/hate this life -- we get to see BOTH sides. Also at one stage the book says "it's impossible to have a nuanced conversation on twitter" and like...LMAO SOMEONE SAID IT.

yesss to the genderbent Prince and Pauper vibe!
Imogen and Jess swap places and it is FUN. I'm always dubious about this trope being pulled off, but then my sister showed me pictures of her (unrelated) housemates and I was like: "that is the same person twice." Generic faces, mate, it happens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Anyway, I very much enjoyed reading the girls! Imogen is all squishy and heartfelt and brash. Jess is very closed off and guarded and snipey but so so desperate to be soft but scared to be?! (Ya I have a favourite haha.)

And there is romance of course!
There's an f/f romance, but it's not between the two protagonists...and it's very small and slow because like the book takes place over 4 days so ya. I did think both romances were cute! Although they didn't have enough time for me to get very invested.

Ok so quick confession...
I didn't connect to the book like I'd hoped so it was fun but the stakes weren't so high and I am not super into any fandoms myself rn. And people who absolutely pledge their entire lives/thoughts to stanning fictional characters...like I don't get it. lmao. I also found the girls' voices so so similar, and both in 1st, so it was a bit hard to remember whose chapter I was in.

So this is definitely for the passionate fangirls and nerds out there! It's fun and squishy and there are lots of adorkable moments too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess and the Fangirl.

May 15, 2018 – Shelved
May 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 18, 2018 – Started Reading
December 19, 2018 –
14.0% "Me: I remember the first book just fiiiiiine!
Narrator: and here we see a liar in the wild"
December 19, 2018 –
44.0% "I like it but I thought it was an f/f romance and there have been, um, zero indications of that and I'm nearly halfway 🤨"
December 20, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary