Nikki 's Reviews > Tales from the Perilous Realm

Tales from the Perilous Realm by J.R.R. Tolkien

Nov 24, 2011

bookshelves: short-stories-novellas, fairytales
Read on November 24, 2011

Goodreads librarians really need to work on Tales from the Perilous Realm. Some editions contain four stories, others five, and some also contain Tolkien's 'On Fairy-Stories'. I'm not sure they should all be combined.

Anyway, today this arrived -- since my first copy, most irritatingly, did not include 'Roverandom', which is a fun story aimed at younger readers than the others, involving the adventures of a puppy who gets turned into a toy, and his marvellous journeys. It's the longest story in the collection -- the only one to be chaptered -- and has, I think, more illustrations than the others. The illustrator is Alan Lee, about whom I probably have to say very little -- I think his drawings capture the things and mood described pretty well, for this volume. This edition also has an introduction, which helps contextualise each story and draw out a few things of interest. It includes 'On Fairy-Stories', as well.

I think one of the most charming things about Tolkien's fairy tales is the lack of moralising. Roverandom doesn't learn any big life lessons, except perhaps to mind his Ps (not so sure about his Qs) and not to bite a chunk out of a magician's trousers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales from the Perilous Realm.