Wolf's Reviews > 200 One Pot Meals

200 One Pot Meals by Joanna Farrow

Nov 24, 2011

liked it

200 One Pot Meals is an inexpensive cookery book, attractively packaged and illustrated, that largely delivers on what you might hope for and expect.

Not all the dishes are of the casserole variety. A real effort has been made to give a variety to the recipes - there are soups, pot roasts, noodle and pasta dishes and rice biryani, paella, pilaf and risottos. There are asian inspired dishes, as well as north african, european and a few from the americas.

Most of them appear to be versions of dishes that will deliver plenty of flavour. One or two I remain to be convinced by: I like plaice and I like feta cheese and tomato, but I am not certain that the delicate qualities of the fish would be enhanced by being roasted with them; the sea bass and spicy potatoes sound good, but I cannot help thinking that the dish might benefit from the fish being cooked separately, maybe sealed in foil. On the other hand, I am anxious to get stuck into the fish tagine and some of the delicious looking pot roast meats.

There is a certain degree of cheating in the title, however. Some of these dishes do require an accompaniment - a second pot will be needed. I imagine that most people will cope.

The recipes are all photographed, but only in their finished state. Thankfully, none of them look complicated or difficult to follow.

It is divided into sections on poultry and game, fish (which includes seafood), meat and vegetarian dishes. Readers and cooks should be able to find the sort of dishes they are after fairly easily.

All in all, a good value book. It is not as inspiring as some of the cookbooks I own or quite as useful as some others. In particular, I suspect I shall still turn to Nigel Slater's excellent 'Appetite' more often when making versions of one pot soups, pasta, noodles and pot roasts, but this is a welcome addition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 200 One Pot Meals.