Max G. Bernard's Reviews > Vimana

Vimana by Mainak Dhar

6208441
Nov 24, 2011

Read in November, 2011

A cross-genre science fiction thriller

There is a saying in science fiction circles that says that any sufficiently advanced technology will seem like magic to a less advanced civilization encountering it for the first time. Imagine people of the 16th century, using horse drawn wagons, encountering an automobile. This well written book applies that notion to the concept of ancient alien visitations to Earth. Of course the people of that time would regard the alien visitors as gods, and a distorted version of the stories of their visits would be passed along throughout the centuries in the form of myths and legends. This book answers the question of what would happen if the aliens returned, and we now, with greater capacity to understand them, came to realize that the myths and legends were based on fact and largely true. The book combines science fiction, mythology, and thriller tropes to create a unique cross-genre blend that is entertaining and thought provoking. Besides the concept of ancient alien visitation, elements of the Bermuda Triangle and Roswell, New Mexico (“Area 51”) mythos are explored, in new and unexpected ways.

Given the current fascination with 2012 end-times prophecies based on ancient legends, this story, depicting a contemporary battle between good and evil, could not be more timely. This book kept me reading late into the night to see what happens next. It is not surprising to me that this novel has been in the top ten best sellers in science fiction on Amazon for a while.

The kindle edition also has a preview of the first couple of chapters of the author’s book Heroes R Us, which I’ve previously read and reviewed.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vimana.