Celia's Reviews > Listen to the Marriage

Listen to the Marriage by John Jay Osborn Jr.

it was ok
bookshelves: bookbrowse, 2018-pub, 2018-read, ten-year-challenge, book-shelf-former

I am quoting my lovely reading friend 's review when I start this review.

"Yikes....it takes a saint to read “Listen To A Marriage”....or a masochist.....not sure which.......NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD grueling patience!!!"

I am not a saint, or a masochist, or do I have the patience. I would only fully read this book if it was the last one on earth. (as it was I read the first 100 pages and skimmed the last 100).

First, the book is misnamed. It should be called Talk About a Marriage... and talk, and talk, and talk. This book is mostly one big, long, confusing conversation.

There is absolutely nothing to like about the three characters: immature, whining are two adjectives that come to mind. Even the psychologist and her methods are very suspect in my mind. Now that does not always bother me but even the writing does not save this book.

There might be some lessons to learn from this book about how to make a marriage better, but I am unable to understand them, if they are there.

2 stars

Postscript: OK, I did see the emphasis on good communication being important in marriage. I know I do need to add something nice about this book. (Lesson from Mom: if you cannot say anything nice, do not say anything at all.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listen to the Marriage.

May 15, 2018 – Shelved
June 9, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-read
June 9, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 17, 2018 – Shelved as: ten-year-challenge
August 17, 2018 – Shelved as: book-shelf-former

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by booklady (new)

booklady Yikes! Guess you were glad to finish it? Great review of a not-so-great book. +bl

Celia booklady wrote: "Yikes! Guess you were glad to finish it? Great review of a not-so-great book. +bl"
Thanks for the support. I am not really proud of this review, however. The Catholic in me says I should have been a bit more charitable.

message 3: by booklady (new)

booklady Hmmmm... well, I know what you mean about wanting to be charitable, but it does not seem uncharitable to me. I have written critical reviews of books which I did not like, or did not think contributed anything to the world or to a particular issue/subject. Some I have wanted to go back and 'lighten up' or change later. Yours does not read as overly critical/negative/mean-spirited to me, but as an expression of your opinion, which is what a review should be, right? You could have given the book 1 star or quit 1/2 way through. You could have been much more critical. If all of our reviews are positive, then none of our reviews mean anything, do they? We live in a time when we expect everyone to be a winner all the time. Such unrealistic expectations lead to mediocrity and lower or no standards. Just my .02 cents.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz Oh goodness, Celia! Is it wrong that I had a chuckle at your review? Oof - sorry this was such a bomb. My thoughts are that we don't write negative reviews to be mean, we just do it to put it out there as the viewpoint of a reader, and to provide information to other readers, and that's what you've done. On to better reads -- hope the next one is great. :-)

message 5: by Celia (last edited Jun 11, 2018 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Celia Liz wrote: "Oh goodness, Celia! Is it wrong that I had a chuckle at your review? Oof - sorry this was such a bomb. My thoughts are that we don't write negative reviews to be mean, we just do it to put it out t..."

bl and Liz... you are both so kind. It IS true that I want to warn people and not be mean.

Thanks for the chuckle. You've got me smiling now.

Celia booklady wrote: "Hmmmm... well, I know what you mean about wanting to be charitable, but it does not seem uncharitable to me. I have written critical reviews of books which I did not like, or did not think contribu..."
This comment is worth 2.00 to me (at least)- thanks bl

message 8: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Sorry it didn't work out, Celia! I hope your next read is fantastic!

Celia Deanna wrote: "Sorry it didn't work out, Celia! I hope your next read is fantastic!"
No problem Deanna. I am on to Eagle & Crane and loving it. BTW, Thanks for the loving support.

Elyse  Walters I gotta a good laugh -- I know that quote --did you take a nice bath to relax when done -- make you feel so happy to be living with that great guy you live with? -- So true about the therapist --right?

Paul and I are watching the series with Naomi Watts right now on Netflix (I think its an older series)-- She plays a 'crazy' therapist too --is married with one little girl (the little girl has sexual identity issues --which is ok by the parents --but its a drag at the school) -
the bigger story is Naomi --(her lies -secrets -obsessions and behaviors). Her husband --(can't figure out if he's 100% pure really either>> his secretary has the hots for him --but so far --he hasn't acted on it --
The show is great --creepy a little but such great acting -- I forget the name of it -- (I'm sure you will figure it out) --- or call me tonight --and I'll get it from Paul --
I love Naomi Watts --but I wouldn't want her as a therapist -in this series. She has the hots for a woman (she is hot) -- but the woman has an ex-boyfriend who is a client of Naomi's --things are getting 'on-the-edge'..............
You don't need to be a masochist to watch it........

GREAT review xoxo love the two star reviews! xoxo

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Agree with you completely! Tedious is the word that came to my mind....