Rebekah's Reviews > Crown

Crown by Jesse Teller

bookshelves: perilisc, favorites

I figure if you're here, you're most likely familiar with Jesse Teller's style, perhaps you've already read Song and Hemlock. I'm going to let other reviewers tell you about the characters and tease the plot points, and I'll use this space to tell you something they won't.

I can't review this book. With most of Jesse's work, however dear it is to me, I'm still able to offer a fairly objective review, as much as one coming from any fan. Here I must abandon that goal, in the face of this, the last Manhunters book. I have confessions to make.

These characters have existed longer than my marriage. I'm in love with Smear Kond. I blush at everything he says and does. Our oldest son is named after Rayph Ivoryfist. Fifteen years ago Jesse came up with the name Fannalis. Five years ago he wrote the first chapter of Song. Five months ago he decided Sob's children needed to be featured in Crown. And thirteen years ago, at our wedding, I remember him explaining to our friends how the realm of The Veil works, and the mythical fey creatures that live there. Having the final Manhunters book in print in front of me, finishing the last chapter and closing the last page, it closes an era of my life.

While this world and these characters are my husband's work, I'm a very close part of the process. He thinks out loud, so we talk about his world every day. The original title for this book was Dragonsbane, after the city it's set in, the same manner of titling Song and Hemlock have. Jesse eventually decided, since the book has no dragon fighting in it, that title would be misleading, and he named it Crown, after the prison/asylum featured in the book.

It's so much more fitting than that. It's the culmination of this series, and brings in a few elements from all his previous books. It's the realization that our time in Lorinth is over. As much as I love the Manhunters, we must say goodbye to them with this novel. I won't spoil how it ends, but I will tell you this closes the Manhunters' time in the spotlight. Jesse has several more series coming. He has so much more of Perilisc to share with you.

It has been so fun and such an honor to watch these books come together. Crown shows us the Manhunters in a daring mission, with our favorite familiar faces and some new ones. The secondary point of view character is Roth Callden, a young human mage working to free the Thorn Brothers from the weapons they're trapped in. Crown displays personal vendettas, the clashing of old enemies, reconnecting with old friends, a trek through Hell, and plenty of fantastical creatures and races to strike fear and awe in the reader. If you enjoyed following the Manhunters through Song and Hemlock, I think you will love Crown.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown.

May 15, 2018 – Shelved