Wendy's Reviews > The Call

Nov 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reads, cpl, ebooks
Read in November, 2011

WHAT I WOULD RATE THIS BOOK IF GOODREADS WOULD LET ME: 2.5 stars.
WHAT HAPPENS IN THE STORY: Animal doctor stuff, human doctor stuff, family stuff, father-son stuff, hunting and swimming, and the occasional possible spaceship sighting.
WHAT I COULDN'T DECIDE WHILE READING IT: If the unusual format was helping or hurting the story.
WHAT I SAW COMING A MILE AWAY: There's a reveal in the novel that I guessed at way early on, so I didn't really feel the emotion of it that I might have had it been more of a surprise.
WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE BOOK: Some of the stories of treating the animals, some of the main character's preoccupations, stuff the kids say, the house talking, the rabbit in diapers.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT IT: Due to the format and the way events came up so suddenly, there was a certain sense of detachment I felt while reading. Also found the random, multiple f-bombs unnecessary.
WHAT I COULD HAVE BEEN DOING INSTEAD OF READING THIS BOOK: Sleeping.
THE CALL: Simple story with some nice moments and messages ultimately overshadowed by the style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call.

09/22/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lidia (new)

Lidia i like the format of your review. lol Was more interview transcript and less 'review' lolol - Do it again!

Wendy I'm just imitating the book, this was the style throughout!

message 3: by Lidia (new)

Lidia Oh well that's just annoying then, lol

Heather great review!

message 5: by cat (new) - rated it 3 stars

cat bat Great review

Sophie Godley WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOUR REVIEW: you are brilliant.